Steering hose/fitting leak XJ

Ahoragi

TJ Addict
Got a question for you guys related to steering hose leak. It's for a 2000 XJ but not much different from the TJ. Everything was peachy two weeks ago and then I noticed fluid dripping out of the return line fitting at the box. A pretty good drip. I wiped it up to check and confirm the leak on the next drive. I got back from a short trip and then suddenly both fittings were leaking at the box and fluid looked like it had air mixed in. Steering is a tad bit stiff and does not return to center. I just finished aligning it to 1/8" toe in. The box is stock and has never been touched however my buddy was not very kind to it a month ago when he took a 2.5 lb hammer to it in attempt to get the pitman arm off (noob-ish).

Any ideas why it would suddenly start leaking out of both hoses?

Got a question for you guys related to steering hose leak. It's for a 2000 XJ but not much different from the TJ. Everything was peachy two weeks ago and then I noticed fluid dripping out of the return line fitting at the box. A pretty good drip. I wiped it up to check and confirm the leak on the next drive. I got back from a short trip and then suddenly both fittings were leaking at the box and fluid looked like it had air mixed in. Steering is a tad bit stiff and does not return to center. I just finished aligning it to 1/8" toe in. The box is stock and has never been touched however my buddy was not very kind to it a month ago when he took a 2.5 lb hammer to it in attempt to get the pitman arm off (noob-ish).

Any ideas why it would suddenly start leaking out of both hoses?
You could try some Teflon tape on the threads.

I ended up heading to Daveys Jeeps and picked up a good working pump with hoses for $40. I am thinking my pump is bad and is the reason it is hard to turn so I will toss this one on and see what happens. I did not notice this before but the raised edge of the pully that holds the belt on has chipped off in places. I believe the impact with the deer pushed the e-fan into the pulley and broke it and apparently damaged the pump.

pump.jpg