Steering install: Do I need to use a reamer drill bit or will a regular drill bit get the job done?

Bitar100

TJ Enthusiast
I need to switch out my pitman arm, however; the steering set up I have on currently requires the steering knuckles and pitman's arm to be drilled out to a 5/8 hole. Cav Fab(the brand of the steering components), recommends using a Reamer Drill Bit. I used this initially when I installed them myself but I ended up returning the reamer drill bit because I had no use to it, I remember they drilled out without an issue. Now that I need to replace my Pit Man Arm I will have to drill the hole out to a 5/8, My question is will it matter which drill bit I use, the pit arm will be off the vehicle and compressed in a vice when I attempt it. I just don't want to wait the extra week to get the reamer drill bit because now where but online sites sell the bit and my vehicle is going to be in use very soon so that's why I am on a time clench, I appreciate everyone's response, Thank You.

The benefit to a reamer bit is that in ensures that the hole is centered. With a standard bit it can dance around or wallow out the hole.

The benefit to a reamer bit is that in ensures that the hole is centered. With a standard bit it can dance around or wallow out the hole.
So you wouldn't recommend doing it with a standard drill bit? I am just gonna be doing the pitman arm

So you wouldn't recommend doing it with a standard drill bit? I am just gonna be doing the pitman arm
That’s up to you. It’s your Jeep. I know people have successfully done it with just a bit. However it boils down to having the right tool for the job. Just Like a socket or proper sized wrench instead of a pair of pliers or crescent wrench. I would use the reamer personally. But again. It’s really only up to you.

Drill bit is fine, it's the clamping of the bolt that'll hold it in place not the size of the hole.

That said, make sure you read lots of posts around here about that style of steering. It tends to cause a lot of issues.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
A good and I mean GOOD drill bit will be fine. Not the bit that your father gave you in the bottom of a 5 gal pail of rusty pliers and chipped screwdrivers. Br sure to spin the bit on low rpm's. Use some decent oil on the bit and keep the drill steady. Nothing you are drilling is hardened so the job should go pretty easy.👍

Reactions: Blondie70
Or take it to a local machine shop. They can drill the hole and make it right. Most will not charge that much to just drill a hole or three.