Sloppy feeling from tires back to the steering wheel

Paparock1

Angry SE
Supporting Member
Is this possible?
In my steering, I turn the steering wheel and it has quick inputs, there is little slop from the steering wheel to the tires. But while driving I feel like from the tires back to the steering wheel is sloppy, if that makes sense. I can be driving down the road and feels like the tires follow the lines of the road without me feeling the steering wheel move, but as soon as I add a little correction the tires respond. At times the jeep almost darts in an unpredictable direction. and yes out of the blue I got full on DW last night on the way home from work.

New/adjusted
Ball joints, upper lower CCA bushings, set the pinion angle, welded in CCA mini sliders, tires and wheels, ZJ steering upgrade, rough country adjustable track bar, Stock pitman arm, 4 inch lift.

Please, any ideas welcomed

I would start with the basics. Check your toe-in. Even though you have all new components, tests them for play. Tire pressure and wheel alignment issues are more noticible as the tire sizes goes up. I am leaning towards alignment for half of your issues. Have a sharp guy do your tire balancing. Most shops have Cooter stick weights on and call it good. It takes a patient and conscientious person to do it right.

Reactions: qslim
Start with a dry steer test and actually see if there is any play in any of the joints. You did not mention the drag link which could have worn ends. A loose track bar connection is also a prime suspect for DW.

Reactions: Paparock1
I think I found it.
I took the axle track bar bolt out and bushing and replaced with a larger bolt and new poly bushing. I've had the bushing on the shelf for about 2 months. The inside of the axle mount shows signs of it slipping back and forth.
On the test drive I felt much more solid. Not even the slightest of shimmy on a rough back country road.

Thank you for the advise and ideas!

Where to start. The steering is better than ever, I have been saying that with every upgrade I do. On rough roads now I do not even get the pre shimmy of DW but there is a bump that I hit and it has always caused DW. On the way home I hit the bump, now that I keep tightening things and fixing issues the DW is getting more violent.

Is it possible for the steering box to have play from input from the tires back to the steering wheel But no play from the steering wheel to the tires?
I am not sure how to word that differently if it doesn't make since.

I know what someone is thinking. Avoid hitting that bump LOL.

I am going to grasp at straws. What some people call DW often is not, but I assume you know the difference.

I will again recommend starting with the basics as a baseline. Have a reputable 4x4 shop recommend a tire guy for balancing. I tried 2 or 3 different shops before I found one worth a darn. Proper balance can make a radical difference.

Check the thread for adjusting your toe-in. You can easily do that yourself for free.

Have you torqued your front bearing hubs and axle nut? Bearings okay? I know you have new front end components, but assume they might have a defect or are loose and check for play.

Steering boxes do wear out, especially after lots of miles with wide tires, but to me what you are describing does not sound like the box. 9 times out of 10 the solution to problems are simple and obvious.

I never trust my own recent work and always recheck replaced components. I have no qualms pulling QC on my own work and I occasionally find a lapse on my part. Get out the torque wrench and check every bolt in the front end. Almost every component on my Jeep is new (literally), but it rode like feces until I got the balance right.

Recheck all bolts in the front. Ad he said, assume they are lose. Use a paint pen and mark the nuts and bolts you have checked so you don't miss any. If the box is bad have a buddy turn the steering wheel while you look for problems. Under and from steering wheel to box. Hold the input shaft and check the rag joint and upper shaft.

Regarding the steering obviously check the toe like @Flivver250 suggested. Since you've probably stared at the front of your Jeep maybe take a look at the rear axle. Broken, worn bushings or loose control arm bolts at the rear can shift the axle and steer the Jeep causing issues like you describe. Normally they are throttle related but who knows, might be worth a quick check?

to answer my own original question.... YES.

I jacked one side up at a time and removed the tire. I checked every nut and bolt and tightened where I could.
While I had each side up in the air, I shook and pried rocked and rotated each tire and I could feel the looseness and replicate what i feel in my steering wheel.

The only place I have play is at the steering gear box. Laying on the ground looking up. The pitman arm can move back and forth about 3/8 of an inch without the steering wheel input shaft moving.

I live in Lower Alabama and I do not plan on going larger than 33 inch tires. I do not rock crawl, What is a good recommendation besides the 850 dollar PSC steering gear box?