Steering slop help

red02tj

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
What else should I be considering when trying to fix my steering slop? 02, 35k miles, 2.5in lift, 1in BL with MML on 33x17s.

I can do 75 on the highway with no wobble but regardless of speed it feels like I’m driving a pontoon boat, with more then I *think there should be, slop in the steering.

Steering and front end are all stock with the exception of the steering damper and lower control arms which PO replaced with stock equivalent. I’ve confirmed track bar, drag link, etc are torqued to spec.

I was planning on doing the ZJ upgrade but a sanity check before I throw parts at it is appreciated.

Some videos here. https://share.icloud.com/photos/049TzjqFeGcH26dE81fh-j2DQ

Last edited:
Are the front and rear antiswaybars installed? Shocks good? Have you checked that your toe-in and caster angles are within spec?

Also do a 'dry' steering test. With the tires firmly planted on the ground, have a helper rapidly turn the steering wheel slightly back & forth so you can watch the steering components to look for slop/movement where there shouldn't be. There should be rotational play about the long axis of the drag link, tie rod, and track bar since they are mounted on ball joints but there should be absolutely no side-to-side play anywhere.

Reactions: RINC and red02tj
Are the front and rear antiswaybars installed? Shocks good? Have you checked that your toe-in and caster angles are within spec?

Also do a 'dry' steering test. With the tires firmly planted on the ground, have a helper rapidly turn the steering wheel slightly back & forth so you can watch the steering components to look for slop/movement where there shouldn't be. There should be rotational play about the long axis of the drag link, tie rod, and track bar since they are mounted on ball joints but there should be absolutely no side-to-side play anywhere.

I had to repost the videos, they are up now. F/R sway bars are installed, front bushing are new and rear looked good. Shocks are Rancho 5000x and were installed new in Feb with new procomp springs. Tires were balanced and alignment done at the local Jeep shop but I haven’t rechecked that.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I had to repost the videos, they are up now. F/R sway bars are installed, front bushing are new and rear looked good. Shocks are Rancho 5000x and were installed new in Feb with new procomp springs. Tires were balanced and alignment done at the local Jeep shop but I haven’t rechecked that.
It's time to verify your toe-in and caster angles are correct.

Reactions: AndyG and red02tj
Caster is crucial- You will not get good tracking without it, it can’t happen- You’re fighting physics.

Also see if your front unit bearings are worn by raising the vehicle and rocking the wheel-

Caster, toe, no worn components- then it is going to be as good as the tires and tire work-

I’ve driven a jeep that drove like a boat and with the help of the guys on here made it drive like it was on rails- And have been able to solve this problem on my other Tjs and friends-

Don’t get intimidated don’t let anybody tell you that it can’t drive good because it’s a jeep- That is a completely misinformed statement- It is a jeep body on a coil spring, control arm designed small truck chassis with 4 wheel drive- This design is essentially under every Ford and Dodge truck , jeep Jk, JL and Gladiator and works everytime it is properly set up. I’ll leave Chevrolet out of the equation because they have a different design to do the same thing.

There are several inherent problems with diagnosing steering issues-

The main one is just simply lack of understanding about how it works even by professionals-

people are just intimidated by the overall number of parts but if you’ll really get under there and look at it it’s just not that many- People tend to think man this is never going to end and it’s just going to eat me alive chasing this when all you have to do is find the ones that have wear- So this leads to people not knowing what to look for-

Another problem is people tend to put terrible tires on these vehicles and they will make one ride and drive so bad it’s hard to tell with the steering is doing- And usually the tires are not that terrible to start with that because the steering was never set correctly the tires become horrendous

So basically what I’m saying is in some situations people just don’t believe the problem can be solved that easy and unbelief will keep you from doing something you CAN do- A good example was we had essentially given up on The modification to defeat the 42 rle overdrive because we had convince ourselves that it just wasn’t possible- As Henry Ford said if you think you can you can and if you think you can’t you can’t but you’re going to be right either way.

The whole point of all this is to convince you these things can drive fantastic and go ahead and spend the time you’ll be glad you did and as long as you own one of these you’re going to need everything you learned in the process. If anything it protects you from shops and mechanics that are not as informed and helps you to help them help you.

I’m in rare form today 😂😂🤣🤣

Last edited:
Agree with the caster. You’ll need adjustable lowers in front if you really want it to get it back within spec. I got this done and improvement was noticeable even on a 2.5 inch lift. I also installed a steering riser to match the body lift but doubt that really affects anything. Just made sense to match it all up so why not.

Reactions: red02tj
Caster is crucial- You will not get good tracking without it, it can’t happen- You’re fighting physics.

Also see if your front unit bearings are worn by raising the vehicle and rocking the wheel-

Caster, toe, no worn components- then it is going to be as good as the tires and tire work-

I’ve driven a jeep that drove like a boat and with the help of the guys on here made it drive like it was on rails- And have been able to solve this problem on my other Tjs and friends-

Don’t get intimidated don’t let anybody tell you that it can’t drive good because it’s a jeep- That is a completely misinformed statement- It is a jeep body on a coil spring, control arm designed small truck chassis with 4 wheel drive- This design is essentially under every Ford and Dodge truck , jeep Jk, JL and Gladiator and works everytime it is properly set up. I’ll leave Chevrolet out of the equation because they have a different design to do the same thing.

There are several inherent problems with diagnosing steering issues-

The main one is just simply lack of understanding about how it works even by professionals-

people are just intimidated by the overall number of parts but if you’ll really get under there and look at it it’s just not that many- People tend to think man this is never going to end and it’s just going to eat me alive chasing this when all you have to do is find the ones that have wear- So this leads to people not knowing what to look for-

Another problem is people tend to put terrible tires on these vehicles and they will make one ride and drive so bad it’s hard to tell with the steering is doing- And usually the tires are not that terrible to start with that because the steering was never set correctly the tires become horrendous

So basically what I’m saying is in some situations people just don’t believe the problem can be solved that easy and unbelief will keep you from doing something you CAN do- A good example was we had essentially given up on The modification to defeat the 42 rle overdrive because we had convince ourselves that it just wasn’t possible- As Henry Ford said if you think you can you can and if you think you can’t you can’t but you’re going to be right either way.

The whole point of all this is to convince you these things can drive fantastic and go ahead and spend the time you’ll be glad you did and as long as you own one of these you’re going to need everything you learned in the process. If anything it protects you from shops and mechanics that are not as informed and helps you to help them help you.

I’m in rare form today 😂😂🤣🤣

This is why I hang out here. But just to clarify my situation. I thought Caster can’t be adjusted unless I’ve got adjustable control arms which *shouldn’t* be needed for a ~2in lift. Toe in I understand and I’ll do the DIY alignment.

All that said, once I’m driving straight, it will stay straight, but I can turn my steering wheel to almost 2oclock before the wheels move.

Obviously it’s all connected…no pun intended and thanks again.

Does your Pitman arm turn immediately when you turn the steering wheel? It sounds like you have a lot of backlash in your steering gear.

Reactions: red02tj
While your in there check your ball joints. My jeep had a darting issue and I checked everything and found I had a bad ball joint on the driver side. replaced all of them, rechecked caster and it drives like a charm now.

Have you tried adjusting the steering gear?

waiting on a low profile allen key so I don’t need to remove my winch but half the posts say that will fix my issue, the others say it will ruin what’s left of my steering.

My 97 TJ had a lot of slop in the steering when I got it and I found it to be the lower steering shaft… Replaced it and it corrected the problem.

Last edited:
If you can't do 80 with just one hand on the wheel, in relative comfort and ease, there is something wrong. This applies to TJ's, Jk's, JT's, RAMs and any other solid axle vehicle.

Much like going to a doctor, you are going to have to take you own health (and handling) into your own hands. There are very very few mechanics, (and doctors) that will take the time to correctly diagnose and correct what's actually wrong.

This isn't going to be easy and you are going to have to learn new skills. Get out there and fix both.

I had to do a lot of this:
1. Tire pressure and balance
2. Look for loose, dry steering everything
3. Toe in once toght
4. Caster angle
5. You need adjustable CAs if Caster is off
6. Last thing would be steering box, and that is slight adjustments.

Mine was all over, silliness. Followed this path I learned here, I do 75-80 on 33’s on Texas Tollways all the time, no drift, no nothing, drives exact.

Had to do it all on my son’s 08 JK and it went from unsafe feeling to he drives to Houston and Dallas regularly and it drives exact.

It was really good and a touch of wheel play, steering box cranked 1/4 or 1/4 and 1/8th can’t remember and it finished the process.