Steering stabilizer recommendations?

blauzon115

Hello my name is Benjamin. I am new here. I own a 04 Wrangler X tj. I am looking to replace the oem steering stabilizer with a heavy duty one. I bought the skyjacker black max HD OEM replacement from extreme terrain, but when I went to install it the polyurethane bushings are far too wide to fit into the frame side mount. Any suggestions for a stabilizer that fits right on?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
ecce3419b19a832ec94854f3b8ba6a97.jpg
fc8f8d04c28af2aa233dd5b41d956542.jpg

This (expensive) one is much larger than stock, but is also bolt on:

https://www.extremeterrain.com/fox-ifp-stabilizer-tj-985
Depending upon your lift/tire size, it may be excessive though. I have it on 31" tires, and the steering is much stiffer than stock.

The OE style one @bobthetj03 posted should also work in most applications at far less cost.

Is there a reason you want a heavier duty steering damper?

I want a more heavy duty one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Why? What do you think that a ”heavy duty” one does?

Please let me know so that I can politely inform you that a “heavy duty” steering stabilizer will do absolutely nothing for your Jeep other than make it harder for you to turn and potentially wear out your power steering pump faster.

Or have you fallen into the myth that a bigger / stronger steering stabilizer does something that it actually doesn’t?

A Jeep is only a quarter ton vehicle.

Steering stabilizers didn't even exist for decades and decades.

To get what benefit they deliver, the average Joe needs one that simply works as designed and is not overrated for the size of the vehicle.

Steering dampers do not truly solve any steering related issues... They might be capable of masking some issues..issues that need fixed, not masked.

Basically they are designed to smooth the action of the steering... And help prevent any harsh feedback to the driver.

There were vehicles years ago such as twin I beam ford trucks that could get appreciably better steering performance from heavy duty stabilizers.

if you run larger tires you're already working the steering pretty hard... You might want to reconsider adding more resistance.

... the polyurethane bushings are far too wide to fit into the frame side mount.

cut them down until they fit

Please let me know so that I can politely inform you that a “heavy duty” steering stabilizer will do absolutely nothing for your Jeep other than make it harder for you to turn and potentially wear out your power steering pump faster.

If a steering stabilizer makes it harder to turn or wears out a ps pump faster, what will two 35x12.50 tires do?

If a steering stabilizer makes it harder to turn or wears out a ps pump faster, what will two 35x12.50 tires do?

No one is disputing that, and truthfully I have no concrete evidence that a "heavy duty" steering stabilizer will indeed wear the power steering pump any faster.

However, it certainly won't be of any benefit whatsoever, and is nothing but a waste of money. What's even worse are the dual steering stabilizers, which only seem to add more interference points.

Now if you were talking about RockJock 60s and custom steering setups, then yes, you'll need a different steering stabilizer setup. But where people got it in their mind that they need some sort of super heavy duty steering stabilizers is beyond me. It's an internet myth that's been beaten to death, and people simply keep repeating it, causing others to believe that it's true.

I suspect it had something to do with people assuming a steering stabilizer had something to do with curing death wobble, which of course it doesn't (but trying to convince some people of that is almost mind numbing).

Reactions: 04 LJ
No one is disputing that, and truthfully I have no concrete evidence that a "heavy duty" steering stabilizer will indeed wear the power steering pump any faster.

However, it certainly won't be of any benefit whatsoever, and is nothing but a waste of money. What's even worse are the dual steering stabilizers, which only seem to add more interference points.

Now if you were talking about RockJock 60s and custom steering setups, then yes, you'll need a different steering stabilizer setup. But where people got it in their mind that they need some sort of super heavy duty steering stabilizers is beyond me. It's an internet myth that's been beaten to death, and people simply keep repeating it, causing others to believe that it's true.

I suspect it had something to do with people assuming a steering stabilizer had something to do with curing death wobble, which of course it doesn't (but trying to convince some people of that is almost mind numbing).
It's like "Magnum xxxl"condoms , always looks good to have those laying around .

The Monroe stabilizer already linked is the one you want.

You should be able to drive for a day without a stabilizer and not notice any steering issues. It's a good test to do.

Basically they are designed to smooth the action of the steering... And help prevent any harsh feedback to the driver.

A steering stabilizer will prevent steering gear wear.

Now if you were talking about RockJock 60s and custom steering setups, then yes, you'll need a different steering stabilizer setup.

That's called hydroassist. ;)

The Monroe stabilizer already linked is the one you want.

You should be able to drive for a day without a stabilizer and not notice any steering issues. It's a good test to do.

A steering stabilizer will prevent steering gear wear.

That's called hydroassist. ;)
Good post.

It's like "Magnum xxxl"condoms , always looks good to have those laying around .

It's like all the bro-dozer trucks I see. Jacked sky high with 24" chrome rims and 4 (yes FOUR) steering stabilizers.

For no other reason other than because "it looks cool" :ROFLMAO:

OP, don't assume I'm trying to be an asshole, because I'm honestly not.

I'm just trying to steer you away from the myth that a "heavy duty" steering stabilizer is going to do anything for you. It's not... other than making your wallet a little lighter.

Reactions: AndyG
I drove for months without a stabilizer before installing a Billstein. It eventually got torn up on a trail and its identical replacement has been sitting on my workbench since last July. I couldn't detect a difference while driving with or without one.

Reactions: JMT
I got the Rubicon Express for a few dollars more than the Monroe because I heard the Monroe comes with a crappy paint job.