Steering sticking after turning left

Serbonze

TJ Neophyte
Supporting Member
Steering question. Over the last few weeks, intermediately, after turning left (and only left) the steering wheel feels like it sticks going back to center. I've visually inspected the front end and I don't see any signs of components getting hung up. Any thoughts on what to check?

Specs:
2001 TJ
ZJ Tie Rod
Newish stabilizer
Newish front axle u-joints
No lockers

Check the u-joints on the steering shaft.

However, I don't think you can buy just these u-joints separately. I'm pretty sure you have to buy a whole new steering shaft (though they aren't that expensive).

Reactions: Serbonze
Hmm...had not considered those. My Google search led me down a different path. I'll research them. Thanks for the reply!

No problem. I'm curious to see what you find. When I hear that it doesn't return to center easily I want to assume it's caster, but in your case, I doubt that's it.

It's like it's stuck and requires additional effort to turn, but not all the time.

That's what makes me think that maybe it's one of the u-joints in the steering shaft.

I think I may have found the issue. It looks like the front diff breather tube was not reconnected to the radiator after the auxiliary cooler was installed. It has a metal clip around it that looks like it was getting hung up on the connection between the steering shaft and the box. I can see fresh scratches on the clip and the bolt.

I'm going to route it back up and attach it to the radiator.

Can I ask a favor of anyone reading this? Can you take a look to see how the breather tube is routed? I'm searching Google and I can see where it mounts to the radiator, but not how it's routes up to it.

I just tried a few different routing options
and found one that seems to give it plenty of
clearance from moving parts.

So did it fix the problem then? If so, I guess this is another case of Ockham's Razor!

I'm not sure yet. It's been a long day of house projects.

I looked at the u-joints last night and didn't notice any play or wear so just walked away in frustration.

I was putting the pressure washer away and decided to take another look, and noticed some shiny silver around the part that connects to the steering box. I got underneath and started looking around and realized that the diff breather hose was hanging down and the clip that secures it was sitting next to the connection. Then it all kind of made sense, so I routed it all back up.

Now I'm sitting on the back porch with an iced tea taking a break. I was going to install my new gas tank skid, but I'm tired. :)

Reactions: Chris
Have you done the dry steering test? Sitting under the car while someone aggressively turns the steering back and forth?

Have you done the dry steering test? Sitting under the car while someone aggressively turns the steering back and forth?

Yep, everything is solid. I'll take it out later and drive it and see if there is any sticking.

Well not the tube, but the metal clip that secures it to the radiator. Fingers crossed that it was that simple.