Steering wheel and upper steering shaft moving in and out about 1.5 inches

J.p1999

Hi i just bought my Wrangler TJ 4.0 from 2006 and now i recognized that my Steeringwheel and the attached Upper steering shaft moves in and out. It is Not really loose - it doesn‘t wiggle around. It just slides in and out.
the Upper steering shaft slides Here (See picture).

I attach a Video so you See What i mean.

I Hope you have an idea und you can help me.
Also i Hope you can understand everything because my english isn‘t that Good.

I‘m glad to be in this Forum now! :)
Thank you!!! :)

06D0B45C-7D48-4E78-8A47-2AE3505461E5.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    6.6 MB
Willkommen!

Your Jeep is missing a bracket for a shaft (#11). In your photo upper shaft with white collar, that will bolt to a bracket.
#52058855AB
It is attaches by two m10x1.5x35 bolts and nuts. Manual calls for length of 35, but as you can see in my photo there is no reason to have bolts that long.

Your English and writing is better than most Americans i deal with.

Screenshot from 2022-08-28 13-52-09.png

PXL_20220828_184747622.jpg

PXL_20220828_184801645.jpg

Last edited:
Hey thank you so much!
I will Check that tomorrow.
I‘m Not really Sure where that bracket goes but i will have a closer look tomorrow.

And that bracket prevents the Upper shaft to slide in and out? so the bracket stops the telescope Function?

Thank you! :)

Willkommen!

Your jeep is missing a bracket for a shaft (#11). In your photo upper shaft with white collar, that will bolt to a bracket.
#52058855AB
Two m10x1.5x35 bolts and nuts

View attachment 354618

View attachment 354619

View attachment 354620

Sorry I rushed with my assumption. Another option is this silver bolt at 24 second mark of your video, make sure it is tight.
Bracket prevents lower shaft from moving toward steering wheel, bolt connects upper and lower shafts together.

Grab the shafts from engine compartment and try to slide it, you will be able to see where issue is.
If only upper moves - tighten the bolt.

Screenshot from 2022-08-28 14-29-34.png

Last edited:
Willkommen!

Your Jeep is missing a bracket for a shaft (#11). In your photo upper shaft with white collar, that will bolt to a bracket.
#52058855AB
It is attaches by two m10x1.5x35 bolts and nuts. Manual calls for length of 35, but as you can see in my photo there is no reason to have bolts that long.

Your English and writing is better than most Americans i deal with.

View attachment 354618

View attachment 354619

View attachment 354620

I could Not wait until tomorrow :D so i went to the garage to have a look.

I case I got it right what you meant, it has to be something else…
Because (unfortunately) I have that bracket and everything sits tight.

the issue is that Not the hole upper shaft moves, it’s just the upper part of the upper shaft. Like the upper or outer part of that telescope mechanism.

I attach another picture with a sketch.

63AC62E1-709D-46C2-9409-E971ED0980EF.jpeg

Sorry I rushed with my assumption. Another option is this silver bolt at 24 second mark of your video, make sure it is tight.
Bracket prevents lower shaft from moving toward steering wheel, bolt connects upper and lower shafts together.

Grab the shafts from engine compartment and try to slide it, you will be able to see where issue is.
If only upper moves - tighten the bolt.

View attachment 354623

Oh thank you! You’re answering so fast! Haha

Yes that’s exactly whats happening. When I look from the engine compartment and slide the steeringwheel in and out just the upper part of the upper shaft slides. The rest is tight and doesn’t move.

But I don’t know which bolt I have to tighten. Could you explain again or mark it in the picture. I’m sorry

Thank you for your help! I’m relay happy about it!!
Me and my girlfriend where so pissed because we just bought the car and now we wanted to drive first. And not repair first haha :D

She is also thankful for your help! :)

Oh thank you! You’re answering so fast! Haha

Yes that’s exactly whats happening. When I look from the engine compartment and slide the steeringwheel in and out just the upper part of the upper shaft slides. The rest is tight and doesn’t move.

But I don’t know which bolt I have to tighten. Could you explain again or mark it in the picture. I’m sorry

Thank you for your help! I’m relay happy about it!!
Me and my girlfriend where so pissed because we just bought the car and now we wanted to drive first. And not repair first haha :D

She is also thankful for your help! :)

I was under my Jeep the 1st day i purchased it, if only i fully understood what i have gotten myself into back then :D
But don't feel regrets yet, it is a very good and reliable vehicle. Most important it is fun to drive, i always drive with a smile.
Jeep has its little issues here and there, plus it is getting old, but we have a great community of friendly people to help you with anything. You both are welcomed and feel free to ask anything no matter how little or stupid you think it is.

Bolt is marked, that should take care of it.

PXL_20220828_202956695~3.jpg

I was under my Jeep the 1st day i purchased it, if only i fully understood what i have gotten myself into back then :D
But dont feel regrets yet, it is a very good and reliable vehicle. Most important it is fun to drive, i always drive with a smile.
Jeep has its little issues here and there, plus it is getting old, but we have a great community of friendly people to help you with anything so feel free to ask anything no matter how little or stupid you think it is.

Bolt is marked, that should take care of it.

View attachment 354635

I see that as a chance to get to know how to repair a car. I think it is really cool to have mechanic skills!

We are so happy about that car! :)

Oh you mean that bolt, okay.

Could you have another look on my picture with my sketch?
Because the bolt you mean now is to connect the upper and the lower shaft, right?

But in my sketch you can see that only one part of the upper shaft is moving.

My issue is all about the upper part of the upper shaft or maybe the steering column.

The upper shaft is build like a telescope so the shaft has one part that goes to the steeringwheel and one part that goes to the lower shaft. These two parts have a different Diameter. So the part that goes to the lower shaft can slide into the part that goes to the steeringwheel. So the hole upper shaft is made by these two parts and can slide - like a telescope.

That is my issue. Because I think that should not slide when it is installed.

In my picture I tried to explain with the sketch. Maybe you could have another look. I’m so sorry!! I’m so glad you’re helping so much!

I think the problem is I can’t describe properly with my English haha

You’re really nice! Thank you!

cut the zip tie and slide the boot out of the way and look at it.

it's not slopping at the riser that is beyond what you videoed anyways, it's not the u joint it's whatever is under that boot is that looks to be wonky.

Your English is fine, i have made an assumption and quickly jumped to a conclusion without fully analyzing what you have said and sketched.
I know there is two more bolts that are holding steering column it is right above the pedals, if they are unbolted everything will move (entire steering column), including turning and wiper switches. But you only have steering wheel movement, as if there is extra adjustment option.

I wonder if European version allows in and out adjustment?
Looking at the diagram, there is a nut (#6) that i don't remember what it does. If no one else has any clues, i will crawl in there in the morning to have a look.
Screenshot from 2022-08-28 18-50-45.png

The shaft has a sliding joint on it. It’s made to move in and out like that.

Attachments

• 68342436569__7B6BC338-6EE7-48EC-96FC-82582D622DD4.MOV
    694.7 KB
Reactions: someguysjeep
the witness says #8, that shine on that stick is witness to movement at that point, no?

what's under the boot?

steer shaft.PNG

That’s a quick video of my old shaft that I replaced. Still had it in a pile of scrap parts out back so I ran out and looked at it for educational purposes lol

Your English is fine, i have made an assumption and quickly jumped to a conclusion without fully analyzing what you have said and sketched.
I know there is two more bolts that are holding steering column it is right above the pedals, if they are unbolted everything will move (entire steering column), including turning and wiper switches. But you only have steering wheel movement, as if there is extra adjustment option.

I wonder if European version allows in and out adjustment?
Looking at the diagram, there is a nut (#6) that i don't remember what it does. If no one else has any clues, i will crawl in there in the morning to have a look.
View attachment 354675

I just replaced the steering bracket, and the only "adjustment" I found was that upper to lower shaft joint...the silver bolt you mentioned. It allowed me to push the upper shaft inward (toward the firewall) in order to separate the shafts and install the new bearing bracket.

For JP1999 : Have someone grab your steering wheel and pull/depress it while you look at the shaft by that bearing bracket/silver bolt and see where the shaft is moving to better pinpoint what you need to fix or tighten.
Hope this helps
Ray

Sorry, didn't see the other posts while I was typing, which is about as fast (slow) as figuring out math......

You are missing or it came loose the lower bearing retainer for the steering column. The column should not move up and down. The intermediate shafts do not hold the column shaft in place. I took a picture of mine. It appears this retainer should be in a groove on the shaft. It would probably be best to pull the column but you will need to be careful of the clockspring for the airbag. Center the steering ( wheels straight ahead) disconnect battery, remove airbag and steering wheel. Remove the clockspring from the column. Do not turn the clockspring while off. Remove column and repair lower bearing retainer. Reinstall in reverse of removal.

022188A0-6364-4282-9DE3-1C16C246A319.jpeg

You are missing or it came loose the lower bearing retainer for the steering column. The column should not move up and down. The intermediate shafts do not hold the column shaft in place. I took a picture of mine. It appears this retainer should be in a groove on the shaft. It would probably be best to pull the column but you will need to be careful of the clockspring for the airbag. Center the steering ( wheels straight ahead) disconnect battery, remove airbag and steering wheel. Remove the clockspring from the column. Do not turn the clockspring while off. Remove column and repair lower bearing retainer. Reinstall in reverse of removal.
Thank you so much for all of this help!
A big thanks to all of you!

There is something different between your and mine column at the connection to the upper shaft.

The metal ring you marked red is in my case not at the position it has to be, right? (See video)

I can see a spring that is there and under the spring I think there is the metal ring.
The spring is also not on tension. So I can slide the spring a little bit up and down. And that is not the purpose of a spring haha

Could that be the issue? And how could I fix that? Do I have to strip down the hole steering wheel, column, shaft?

And where can I buy the bearing retainer ?

Thank you so much!!

4DFAA58E-4C29-427F-BF40-F7D1CAF0EBFE.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    22.3 MB
Yours looks a little different. If you can pull that lower shaft off by removing the bolt and slide it off. (Just don’t turn the wheel around while disconnected) all the parts may be on the shaft.there should be a snap ring or some kind of retainer to keep the spring under tension against the lower bearing.

Yours looks a little different. If you can pull that lower shaft off by removing the bolt and slide it off. (Just don’t turn the wheel around while disconnected) all the parts may be on the shaft.there should be a snap ring or some kind of retainer to keep the spring under tension against the lower bearing.

Okay thank you that sounds good.
I hope that is the issue.

Do someone know how exactly that spring and the retainer is fixed?

And if the spring or the retainer is broken where can I get a new one?
I need a store that’s shipping to Germany haha

In the best case a store where I do not pay tree times the price of the product for shipping ;D

If the snap ring or retainer just popped out of the groove it should be on the shaft , all the parts should be on the shaft unless someone had it apart and didn’t put things back correctly.
I was a Ford mechanic for years and have done hundreds of columns. The way they were put together was lower bearing, then a race , spring and then a large snap ring would hold the spring in place on a groove in the shaft. If all the parts are there you may be able to remove the lower shaft and reinstall the parts with the column in the vehicle. You may need someone to push the steering wheel down while installing the snap ring. Jeep only show the complete column as an assembly but I did find some on eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2241442894...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.