Steering Wheel Installation

Sputter

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Finally got everything repainted with colorbond and installing the dash back in. Went to put the steering wheel back on but can’t seem to figure out how to get it back on the splines. Videos I have seen online, people just push them on and tighten it down with the nut. But I can’t seem to get it back on to save my life. Is there a secret to installing this?

9AA24730-51AD-44DE-A199-8389C0D7854B.jpeg

Not trying to insult your intelligence or state the obvious but you are lining up the keyed slot right?

Not at all. Yes They are lined up. I took a close look at the splines though and it looks like I damaged them. Going to dress the with a thin file and see if I can make it work.

89E1740C-7FB8-44C4-8A61-B61031DC33FD.jpeg

they don't look terrible. I seem to remember having to give mine a bit of a thump with a hammer and a block of wood to get it started back on until I could get some thread engagement with the nut.

The slot at the top which is yellow is different so it lines back up exactly as you took it off. Make sure you have that slot lined up. Shouldn't have to use much force to get it back on. Might have to turn it just a bit to line that slot up.

Got it in after cleaning up the splines with a file. Used @Bigmac ’s block of wood trick and it worked like a charm. Unfortunately I have misplaced the center bolt. Part number in the manual is wrong. No way this bolt is a 10 and too small to be an 8. Thoughts?

Got it in after cleaning up the splines with a file. Used @Bigmac ’s block of wood trick and it worked like a charm. Unfortunately I have misplaced the center bolt. Part number in the manual is wrong. No way this bolt is a 10 and too small to be an 8. Thoughts?
Keep looking for it.