Steering wheel upgrade?

I'm not entirely sure. Never heard of anyone doing it. You could check the part diagrams as a start and see if the airbag part numbers are the same among various models of Jeeps.

W841.jpg

I'm not entirely sure. Never heard of anyone doing it. You could check the part diagrams as a start and see if the airbag part numbers are the same among various models of Jeeps.
It looks like the plugs for the wrangler, Cherokee, GC, patriot, compass and Commander are all the same, I’ll have to hit the junk yard and see if I can find one and let you all know how it goes.

It looks like the plugs for the wrangler, Cherokee, GC, patriot, compass and Commander are all the same, I’ll have to hit the junk yard and see if I can find one and let you all know how it goes.

Good to know! Let us know if it ends up working. I've never heard of it having been done before, so it would be useful to know if it fits or not.

So I checked out the junk yard and it looks like all the GC and libertys have the same plugs for the air bags, the only decent wheel I found was from a 2005+ GC, so I bought that. I’ll check to see if it fits on my steering column when I change my clock spring.
If it does I’ll try to find an airbag for it.

Last edited:
A 2005 GC steering wheel will bolt onto my 97 as I suppose other year and model Jeeps would. The only problem is I don’t think GC came without cruise control. And in 97-98 Jeeps the buttons have different resistance than later models. So even if I installed cruise in my Jeep, I’d have to modify the new buttons to run the 97-98 resistance. Doable, but I Just don’t want to. I’ll probably re-wrap my steering wheel eventually.
89B548A4-1DA3-43BC-AD33-983253DC59C9.jpeg

Wish I had seen this sooner. I just picked up a rubber TJ wheel to replace my worn leather wrapped wheel. I was recently looking over a friends Liberty and noticed they have pretty nice looking steering wheels with the cruise control buttons in the same location as a TJs. I should have held out.

This video from Australia shows a WJ steering wheel, reconditioned in Poland and ordered on eBay, being installed in a TJ. Looks awesome.

Unfortunately, I have a '97 with no cruise control. I think the '97 looks exactly like an XJ wheel. As posted above, I'm sure the WJ wheel will work on my TJ, but I'm reluctant to have steering wheel buttons that don't work.

Same seller on eBay (yeah, the one in Poland) has this XJ wheel that looks great, and looks exactly like my '97 TJ wheel except I don't have cruise so my airbag wouldn't work.

Seller say to contact him for special orders - I think I will do that.

1578833164300.png