Steering Wobble - Diagnosis

basic

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
As some of you may know - after my recent lift I had some vibrations in the rear. Those seem to all be sorted now with the new LCA to get pinion angles correct (will be getting an SYE and new DC driveshaft sometime).

I took it a week and a half ago to get aligned. After alignment, tire pressures set to 40 psi. Tracked straight as an arrow and drove smooth, up to about 55-60 MPH when I would get a slight shimmy in the steering wheel. This was not present prior to the alignment.

Since I didn't notice this until I was on a road trip, i decided to take it slow and drive under 55 (great gas mileage!). Driving over 60 or so could (but not always) cause a pretty bad shake, so I kept it slow.

Met up with a friend and he and I went over it all. It was all tight and nothing was loose, so drove it to a Jeep meetup and trail ride. No real change after the trail ride and all, and is basically okay as long as I keep it under 55.

Higher air pressures seem to help as well.

Took some video today to help diagnose the issue.

ZJ tie rod from passenger to driver is new, with new adjusting sleeve and tie rod end on driver side.

Ball joints on passenger side were replaced a year ago. Drivers ball joints are likely OE. (101000 miles on it). Have new ball joints to install, just haven't gotten around to it.

Also have new drag link, upper sleeve, and ball joint at pitman arm to install.

Do not have new steering stabilizer. It's likely bad as well, but I don't want to put a new one on to mask the issue.

Here's a video - pardon the whistle - camera was mounted just behind my license plate and I think the air through the holes was causing a whistle. This is with air pressures around 38 PSI. Usually run around 30.

You can see the vibes at around 20 seconds. This was a relatively minor occurrence - it has been much worse. Once it was so bad I had to slow down to like 45mph to get it to stop. Also later (around the 1:14 mark) on you can see some of the slight shimmy i was referring to.

Any pointers? Going to replace everything I have (drag link, ball joints) tomorrow I think, but am I overlooking something simple?

Last edited:
When I did a 6” BDS Long Arm, my Pinion angles were WAY OFF. I had to reset them, and then I had to “Clock” the axels.
The only way we figured it out was taking her for an alignment. That showed where my castor/camber/toe were, compared to where they needed to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second @Rob5589's suggestion.

In cases like this, it almost always ends up being a tire balancing issue... seriously!

Reactions: basic
I honestly have not had them balanced. Whats the recommendation for method - road force? Dual plane dynamic? Static? I'll make sure they get it dead nuts on, regardless.

I recently rotated the tires on my Jeep cause quite frankly I was a little past due but did not have them re-balanced at the time. Rode nice around town but once I got the speed up to around 60 the front-end would shimmy along with the steering wheel. Before the tire rotation the Jeep had no shimmy at highway speeds. I plan on getting them re-balanced asap!

So, a bit of an update - replaced drivers side ball joints yesterday; seems to have improved things a bit on my drive this morning. the lower ball joint was loose to the point that after removing the knuckle the tapered stud had zero resistance in the socket and could move very freely, leading me to think there was some play in this joint. The upper joint was still okay as far as I could tell and had no play. Replaced them both anyway.

Drag link and tie rod end install today. Have to pick up a tie rod end separator tool on the way home from work. Then will set toe and center steering and see where she's at. Still plan to balance tires though.

Reactions: oldditchdoctor
Further update - drag link and pitman arm side tie rod did not get installed on Monday, and just got installed today. Didn't realize the new drag link was not painted, so had to get that done then waited on weather cool down a bit.

Did have one issue that arise during the install-

After removing the drag link, I found that my steering box had a bit of play on the pitman arm. I measured approximately 0.035" of play ~ 3.5" from the center. I'm wondering if this is enough to cause issues. Is this an acceptable amount? It's easily noticeable with the drag link removed and I don't see a way to adjust.

I had a similar wobble at around 55mph. I got my tires balanced and nothing so far. I drove consistently at 75mph for an hour without a hint of wobble. I had taken it to the dealer who told me it was the steering stabilizer. Well, that's in need of replacing but definitely was not the cause of my wobble.

Yea, the balancing is on the list to do; but figured I'd do this stuff first. Steering stabilizers won't cause wobble, so they are just trying to put a band-aid on. Glad you got yours worked out.

20180611_185505.jpg
20180611_185513.jpg
20180611_185505.jpg 20180611_185513.jpg
20180611_185505.jpg
20180611_185513.jpg
20180611_185505.jpg 20180611_185513.jpg
20180611_185505.jpg
20180611_185513.jpg

Can anyone tell me if this is a dropped pitman I just bought this wrangler order some rodends ect but dont know if I should change out that pitman ....I have bump steer and just overall lose steering