Steering

Amigo

Good evening. I know this has been talked about but I can’t seem to find the right answer. I got a 99 tj I have 4” lift, 33s, new steering box, new lower control arm, new damper, drag link, tie rod, upper/lower steering colum, I check measurement for toe and tire pressure is about 28 psi and I’m sure I missed something. My question is why I am able to move the steering wheel side to side about 2” of play? Hit a bump boom wonder higher speed wonders. Second question is do I need to have a drop track bar bracket? If not I have an anjuatable Stein DOM track bar. Any input let me know.
1BF6E31A-B908-4BE7-8B88-CBD023CA800D.jpeg
E7D76C6F-18AA-4F2B-88E5-1A76509091E8.jpeg
49067A3B-CC93-4306-827D-760CD5C03FAC.jpeg

That definitely looks like a wonky drop track bar bracket...
you check your alignment?

@Amigo
Maybe a camera angle but the TB jam nut looks loose. Anyway, check it.
While doing the dry steering test pay attention to the frame track bar mount.

2nd question answer:
No, you do not need any TB extension mount. The current TB bracket seems to be there to install that TB type or to cover something on the OEM mount, I will inspect and be sure all is tight.

That Steinjager TB is not any better than the one already on your jeep so unless the TB in the TJ has the bushing worn out to threads slipped I do not see how it will help. I do think the bolt supplied w the Steijager TB may fit the OEM mount hole that probably is already drilled open, if that the case you can remove the current bracket and properly install the TB.

Good Luck!

8F296B47-8081-4E9E-8831-5B165224DEAE.jpeg

Last edited:
@Amigo
Maybe a camera angle but the TB jam nut looks loose. Anyway check it.
While doing the dry steering test pay attention to the frame track bar mount.

2nd question answer:
No you no need any TB extension mount. The current TB bracket seems to be there to install that TB type or to cover something on the OEM mount, I will inspected and be sure all is tight.
That Steinjager TB is not any better than the one arledy on your jeep so unless the TB in the TJ has the bushing worn out to threads slipped I no see how it will helps. I do think the bolt supplied w the Steijager TB may fit the OEM mount hole that probably is already drilled open, if that the case you can remove the current bracket and properly install the TB.

Good Luck!

View attachment 251817
it's in front of the factory TB mount. Dunno if moving it forward like that could cause anything.

Not quite get what you try to tell me.
I mean I'm not sure if moving the track bar forward would cause his issues, as in "I'm unsure"
It's still something of his that needs to be addressed. I can just see the factory TB mount behind it.

I mean I'm not sure if moving the track bar forward would cause his issues, as in "I'm unsure"
It's still something of his that needs to be addressed. I can just see the factory TB mount behind it.
Ok, I did mention more due to be loose.

Still moving it in front or rear of the OEM position and not move the axle accordingly has its own side effects.

The loose track bar is not helping. The drop track bar mount needs to go. If you have a drop TB mount you must have a drop pitman. You must have both or none. You cannot have one or the other. It messes up the steering/suspension geometry.
Try a drop pitman arm to match that dropped tb bracket.