Step for GenRight Mini Boat Side Riockers?

LJDC

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have GenRight mini boat side rockers on my LJ. Has anyone come up with a way to add a removable lower step for when the Jeep isn’t offroad?

I’m 6’1”, and the Jeep is on 35s with 5.25” of lift. That first step is (as Ned Ryerson said) a doozy. Offroad, when the ground isn’t level (which is almost always), I have to hoist myself in. That’s the deal. It’s on the road that I’m more worried about.

I’m wondering whether the factory step bracket could be modified in some way. I reinstalled the factory’s step to see what it did, and it’s basically covered by the slider’s outboard rail. I got the stirrup step. It’s no easier than jumping.

Edit: I have a step stool for dealing with the roof rack. Taking out the step stool all the time is also less good than jumping :)

Last edited:
I can’t remember who the member is here, but they bolted one of those Carr or Bully brand steps to a flat plate, then bolted that to the underside. I can’t remember if they drilled/tapped some sliders or installed nutserts or possibly to the tub itself. Either way they states it was as easy as installing/removing a couple bolts when they wanted to install or remove them.

I can’t remember who the member is here, but they bolted one of those Carr or Bully brand steps to a flat plate, then bolted that to the underside. I can’t remember if they drilled/tapped some sliders or installed nutserts or possibly to the tub itself. Either way they states it was as easy as installing/removing a couple bolts when they wanted to install or remove them.

That would be perfect. The factory steps left empty nutserts in the frame. I left the original bolts in them so I could find them if needed.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
That would be perfect. The factory steps left empty nutserts in the frame. I left the original bolts in them so I could find them if needed.

I may have the post bookmarked. I’ll see if I can find it.

Reactions: JMT
@L J Notice mine says "how to make" it allows flexibility for improvement.

That’s a neat video, and may have saved some cash. But the result doesn’t appear to be different than the stirrup I (unfortunately) purchased.

The issue is that the stirrup is not fixed. No matter where you put it (on the GenRight sliders, with the tube), it will push under the tube. Plus as you try to use it for leverage to get in (and, by the way, change direction and orientation), it continues to move. It moves like a rope ladder that isn’t fixed to the ground.

It you bring it high-enough to be steadied against the step, you can’t get your foot into it. Plus at that point it’s nearly as high as the step/tube, only harder to plant a foot on.

Maybe there are scenarios in which the stirrup is helpful. But not with my configuration.

• Sad
Reactions: Apparition