Stereo settings, everywhere you look it's gibberish

rubicube

TJ Enthusiast
I have a alpine cde143bt,4 5.25 infinity speakers ,never got that crap quadatek sub to sound worth a shit so I put in a boss8 sub on a flash sale on amazon.
sounds great but where do you set all the shit LPF/HPF I have settings on the deck an on the sub.......EQ everybody talks bout putting them in but then what.

Last edited:
I have a alpine cde143bt,4 5.25 infinity speakers ,never got that crap quadatek sub to sound worth a shit so I put in a boss8 sub on a flash sale on amazon.
sounds great but where do you set all the shit LPF/HPF I have settings on the deck an on the sub.......EQ everybody talks bout putting them in but then what.

It’s worth taking the time to follow some steps to set up a head unit, amp, and/or sub. Usually the install guides have this information. Go to their website and look up install guides. If not there are videos on YouTube and articles on the internet that can give you the sequence and suggested parameters.

Last edited:
I would help if you were closer... would need to know exactly how you have it setup which speakers on which channels and if you have the sub running from the preamp outputs?

Lord I wish I understood even a little about auto stereos. Mine so needs to be upgraded but I don’t know the first step…

I’ll just keep the top down and doors off. It’s a sensory rich experience

• Love
Reactions: ColoJeep
I would help if you were closer... would need to know exactly how you have it setup which speakers on which channels and if you have the sub running from the preamp outputs?

had stereo shop put in the alpine /wiring harness soldered all I did was unplug the factory sub an rca the boss8
so LPF 120 HPF 120 on head unit and a lil higher on the amp...turn bass boost off....

had stereo shop put in the alpine /wiring harness soldered all I did was unplug the factory sub an rca the boss8
so LPF 120 HPF 120 on head unit and a lil higher on the amp...turn bass boost off....

You have the Alpine CDE 143bt as your head unit, 5.25" infinity speakers and boss8 sub. Need these three questions answered before moving on.

1) Is the Alpine CDE 143 connected to an amplifier? If yes, what amplifier?
2) Is the Boss 8" sub a stand-alone speaker or a self-powered subwoofer?
3) Do you have the 5.25" infinity both in the front dash and rear overhead speaker pods?

Reactions: SSTJ
You have the Alpine CDE 143bt as your head unit, 5.25" infinity speakers and boss8 sub. Need these three questions answered before moving on.

3) Do you have the 5.25" infinity both in the front dash and rear overhead speaker pods?

@rubicube,
This guy knows what he is talking about. He helped me out a great deal in getting my sound system straightened out. Good luck.

Mike

Reactions: skrelnik

1 no 2 the boss8 is self powered under my seat 3 yes I got adapt.an put 5.25 infinity in all corners...dash and pods, just wondering about settings on deck an amp/speaker.

1 no 2 the boss8 is self powered under my seat 3 yes I got adapt.an put 5.25 infinity in all corners...dash and pods, just wondering about settings on deck an amp/speaker.

1) Your Alpine deck should send a full signal to the Boss self-powered subwoofer. The reason is the Boss self-powered sub already has a built-in filter so there is no need to "double" filter the signal. See picture below. I would turn the LPF almost all the way to the 150Hz and maybe scale back 1/8th of a turn.

You have the bass boost which adds more bass, that is personal, so turn to 6db if you want more bass.

The gain is sort of tricky and needs to be matched with the head unit. If you hear the speaker distorting, you want to reduce the gain. This is a simple way, not very technical. You should turn the volume up to 75% and increase the gain until you hear distorting, and then scale back.

2) As for the infinity 5.25" speakers, those are coaxial speakers and already have a built-in filter so they should receive a flat signal and there is no need to adjust the filters. Adjusting the deck's filters would be more geared towards speakers that are components, when you need to control the audio signal so it works well with the speaker.

3) If you want to change the equalizer, everyone has a different ear for sound. I would play with the Deck's pre-set functions, like Pop or Rock or Jazz, with differen songs that you like to listen to, or radio stations. You will hear the differences between these settings, and each pre-set equalizer serves it's own music purpose. If you want to get technical and really play with the equalizer, you would want a more robust audio system. Keep it simple and do not overthink it. Have you downloaded Alpines' app, Tuneit, for your phone. You can see what others are using for settings and share info through the app.

4) If your Infinity speakers sound "off" it could be due to the deck as the deck's internal amp is rated at 4 ohm and 18 watts. The Kappa52s are rated at 2 ohms and recommended power is 55 watts. These Kappa's could be drawing too much from your deck, and an amplifier may be your next upgrade to make those Kappa's sound better and alleviate overpowering the deck. This would be a great little amp for the Kappas, just google it. - SOUNDIGITAL EVOX 400.4

1663765541233.png

1) Your Alpine deck should send a full signal to the Boss self-powered subwoofer. The reason is the Boss self-powered sub already has a built-in filter so there is no need to "double" filter the signal. See picture below. I would turn the LPF almost all the way to the 150Hz and maybe scale back 1/8th of a turn.

You have the bass boost which adds more bass, that is personal, so turn to 6db if you want more bass.

The gain is sort of tricky and needs to be matched with the head unit. If you hear the speaker distorting, you want to reduce the gain. This is a simple way, not very technical. You should turn the volume up to 75% and increase the gain until you hear distorting, and then scale back.

2) As for the infinity 5.25" speakers, those are coaxial speakers and already have a built-in filter so they should receive a flat signal and there is no need to adjust the filters. Adjusting the deck's filters would be more geared towards speakers that are components, when you need to control the audio signal so it works well with the speaker.

3) If you want to change the equalizer, everyone has a different ear for sound. I would play with the Deck's pre-set functions, like Pop or Rock or Jazz, with differen songs that you like to listen to, or radio stations. You will hear the differences between these settings, and each pre-set equalizer serves it's own music purpose. If you want to get technical and really play with the equalizer, you would want a more robust audio system. Keep it simple and do not overthink it. Have you downloaded Alpines' app, Tuneit, for your phone. You can see what others are using for settings and share info through the app.

4) If your Infinity speakers sound "off" it could be due to the deck as the deck's internal amp is rated at 4 ohm and 18 watts. The Kappa52s are rated at 2 ohms and recommended power is 55 watts. These Kappa's could be drawing too much from your deck, and an amplifier may be your next upgrade to make those Kappa's sound better and alleviate overpowering the deck. This would be a great little amp for the Kappas, just google it. - SOUNDIGITAL EVOX 400.4

View attachment 360958

I just did how you said ur a lifesaver everywhere else makes like rocket science ,,,,its sounds awesome now thnx,,,,,thinking bout thorn a KTA 450 on it....alpine amp jus plugs in what do you think of that.

Last edited:
This reminds me of when I worked at a call center for Pioneer Electronics. Got a call this dude on the phone was so excited about getting some sound system that had a slider style equalizer. Kept asking me how he should set the Eq as there were so many sliders. Explained to him you need to set it the way you like it, what I like may not be what you like.
After a few more minutes of explanations and not getting anywhere I told him to make the EQ look like a smile. He did that and the response from him was "OMG this sounds awesome!!!". I almost died after hanging up the phone.

I will somewhat disagree with this statement. Most coaxial speakers only have a passive filter on the tweeter and the woofer will receive full signal. I like to utilize HPF on coaxials set around the low frequency response of the woofer to maximize power handling at high volumes. Sending a signal to a speaker it cannot reproduce wastes wattage from the amplifier and only heats up the voice coil of the speaker. The frequency response of the 5.25 Kappas look to be 55-25K, therefore I would set the HPF to these around 60hz. The sound change will likely be un-noticeable at low volumes but may allow a little more volume before distortion on the high end.

I will somewhat disagree with this statement. Most coaxial speakers only have a passive filter on the tweeter and the woofer will receive full signal. I like to utilize HPF on coaxials set around the low frequency response of the woofer to maximize power handling at high volumes. Sending a signal to a speaker it cannot reproduce wastes wattage from the amplifier and only heats up the voice coil of the speaker. The frequency response of the 5.25 Kappas look to be 55-25K, therefore I would set the HPF to these around 60hz. The sound change will likely be un-noticeable at low volumes but may allow a little more volume before distortion on the high end.

I'd agree.
I cut my 5.25 off at 80hz even the 6.5 in the pods get the low end cut off. They then are in essence a midrange. It makes a noticeable difference in sound quality. Adding the 450A will make a noticeable improvement in the sound also.

Reactions: rubicube

You may have missed the point which was far from a technical lesson. This was a simple way to get a member good sound, and per my read on the Infinity Kappa's, a full range should be good to go.

Those Infinitys cannot be overpowered by an Alpine head unit's internal amplifier. Plus these woofers should have a smooth and predictable roll off; while I have not seen the 52.11's curve, I saw the 62.11's curve which tells me that the 52.11 will roll off relatively similar. Plus, Infinity touts this woofer's ability to play loud and low without distortion.

I do partially agree with you said, but I do not think it is applicable for this specific case.

From Infinity:

If you like bass, the Kappa glass fiber woofer holds its shape when the power's cranked up, so you still get punchy and defined bass. Glass fiber weighs less than traditional materials, so you don't need a ton of power to drive this woofer. Infinity's Plus One+ woofer technology extends the cone right up to the edge of the basket, giving you more surface area than with most comparable speakers. A bigger cone means more bass to complement the superior high-frequency response.

I'd agree.
I cut my 5.25 off at 80hz even the 6.5 in the pods get the low end cut off. They then are in essence a midrange. It makes a noticeable difference in sound quality. Adding the 450A will make a noticeable improvement in the sound also.

so I turned the bass boast on the amp to 0 since the sub has a knob on the sub/amp I set the gain to bout half way sound good there an set the lpf on the amp kinda high /there's no #on the dial,,,,then on the head I set LPF to80 HPF to 80 the eq to rock sub setting on the deck to 5.sounds pretty good what do you guy's think.

Sounds like you're getting it figured out. I'm assuming you're not running an amp besides what is in the Sub?
I run one of the KTP-445A on my little DD Corolla and it rocks pretty good for 180 watt rms / 4ch amp and is small enough to hide in the dash by the HU.
No additional wiring just plug in between HU and speakers. Just a suggestion.

Reactions: rubicube
Sounds like you're getting it figured out. I'm assuming you're not running an amp besides what is in the Sub?
I run one of the KTP-445A on my little DD Corolla and it rocks pretty good for 180 watt rms / 4ch amp and is small enough to hide in the dash by the HU.

ya I'm gonna do that too ,I don't have one just the self powered sub,,,,,but I fig.the alpine amp for the stereo is plug an play ...I hope.

Reactions: Akitadog

so let me ask when I put the self powered sub under my seat all I did was unplug the sub in the center console an left it all in there,,,you think I should gut it the boss 8 under my seat might fit in there,,,but I kinda left it for now so it's still stock, but im never selling my rubi so I'm wondering .