Steven Preyer's 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Just got back from a long weekend camping at Borrego Springs in the Anza Borrego Desert. With all the rain SoCal has received this year the desert is experiencing another "Super Bloom". I was able to go out with both Jeep Clubs I'm in while out there and got my first real chance to put the jeep through its paces.

Here are pics from the weekend. I'm saving one great pic to submit for ride of the month honors, haha.

Just got back from a long weekend camping at Borrego Springs in the Anza Borrego Desert. With all the rain SoCal has received this year the desert is experiencing another "Super Bloom". I was able to go out with both Jeep Clubs I'm in while out there and got my first real chance to put the jeep through its paces.

Here are pics from the weekend. I'm saving one great pic to submit for ride of the month honors, haha.

View attachment 83317

View attachment 83318

View attachment 83319

View attachment 83320
NICE!

Looks mighty sweet next to that Mirada; a matched set.

NICE!

Looks mighty sweet next to that Mirada; a matched set.

Thanks, I was going for that matched look and it came out looking real sharp. I was thinking of adding blue accents to the Jeep but then thought better of it and stuck with using just the silver and black accents from the Mirada on the Jeep Build.

Wow! The JKS 3 inch springs with the 33’s make for a beautiful stance. Nice build. Whats up next?

Sub’d for more updates and pics. Looks amazing. Keep coming back just to look at your pics.

Wow! The JKS 3 inch springs with the 33’s make for a beautiful stance. Nice build. Whats up next?

Sub’d for more updates and pics. Looks amazing. Keep coming back just to look at your pics.

Thanks for following the build and thanks for the compliments. At this point the number one item on the upgrade list is probably replacing the nerf bar steps over to some better/true rock sliders. After that I will look to upgrade the the front and rear bumpers. Once I finally change out the front bumper I'll compliment it with a winch.

Reactions: JMT
Thanks for following the build and thanks for the compliments. At this point the number one item on the upgrade list is probably replacing the nerf bar steps over to some better/true rock sliders. After that I will look to upgrade the the front and rear bumpers. Once I finally change out the front bumper I'll compliment it with a winch.
Im a huge fan of the Warn rock sliders on Wranglers. They are simple and to the point. A really detailed thread on TJ sliders here.

With those flex pics, I am guessing you have a SYE kit installled. If not, I would look into it, JB Conversions has a really nice super short SYE. No company makes one shorter. For us TJ folks that really benefits us in the long run because it allows for the longest driveshaft possible which helps fight the vibration factor. JB Conversions SSSYE Link here

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
Im a huge fan of the Warn rock sliders on Wranglers. They are simple and to the point. A really detailed thread on TJ sliders here.

With those flex pics, I am guessing you have a SYE kit installled. If not, I would look into it, JB Conversions has a really nice super short SYE. No company makes one shorter. For us TJ folks that really benefits us in the long run because it allows for the longest driveshaft possible which helps fight the vibration factor. JB Conversions SSSYE Link here

I'll look into the rock sliders you mention. As of now I'm not leaning any direction brand wise so I'm open to anything.

As for the SYE, the TJ Rubicon came stock from the factory without slip yokes so I lucked out there. I did install a Tom Woods rear driveshaft so no vibrations in my setup:D

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Oh, I assumed, and also saw the bumper brackets peeking under the bumper. I use a Falcon II tow bar. Bought it used on CL. I like the adjustability. Purchased the brackets to mount them to the d-rings on my bumper. Thought I'd mention that in case you wanted to do similar once you find a bumper you like.

Oh, I assumed, and also saw the bumper brackets peeking under the bumper. I use a Falcon II tow bar. Bought it used on CL. I like the adjustability. Purchased the brackets to mount them to the d-rings on my bumper. Thought I'd mention that in case you wanted to do similar once you find a bumper you like.
View attachment 83455

Awesome advise and good eye. I do have tow mounts attached to the frame that we placed by the previous owner. My thought has been to go with D-Ring adapters when I choose a bumper. Thanks for the pic.

Reactions: bobthetj03
You have me intrigued with those JKS springs. Not many reviews of them, nor jeepers who have tried them, so it's good to see a positive review.

You have me intrigued with those JKS springs. Not many reviews of them, nor jeepers who have tried them, so it's good to see a positive review.

I'm happy to share all my experiences and feedback with them. It's unfortunate my only way to gauge performance is my butt dyno against the stock feel. The Jeep is pretty light with the soft top and no aftermarket bumpers yet so if I add weight to the setup I'll be glad to take a tape measure to it.

I'm happy to share all my experiences and feedback with them. It's unfortunate my only way to gauge performance is my butt dyno against the stock feel. The Jeep is pretty light with the soft top and no aftermarket bumpers yet so if I add weight to the setup I'll be glad to take a tape measure to it.

The one thing I'm on the fence about with those coils is the dual rate they claim. My concern is once more weight is added the top few rows are no longer active, so if the jeep is sitting static and those first few rolls are inactive, then you aren't really getting a "dual rate". All you're getting is basically a spacer up top with fewer active coils. Does that make sense? I looked back at your pics, and it looks like the uppers coils are active, but not by much. Maybe that is all it takes for the softer, initial rate? I'm no spring expert.

The one thing I'm on the fence about with those coils is the dual rate they claim. My concern is once more weight is added the top few rows are no longer active, so if the jeep is sitting static and those first few rolls are inactive, then you aren't really getting a "dual rate". All you're getting is basically a spacer up top with fewer active coils. Does that make sense? I looked back at your pics, and it looks like the uppers coils are active, but not by much. Maybe that is all it takes for the softer, initial rate? I'm no spring expert.

Your spot on with your observations and your concerns. My upper coils are tight but are active and not bound. If I added weight it might not be so active anymore. Just based on research before buying I noticed 2 schools of thought, one was to provide a true dual rate experience and the other was to retain the springs in the perch at full droop.

If you look at my full droop pic the coils are still seated yet at normal driving I'm still getting the benefit of active coils. I do acknowledge that my flex is minor compared to more built Jeeps. The JKS JSPEC 3" coils fit well with my philosophy of building a well performing Jeep that looks understated........ "Mild Build".

I agree with your build philosophy. I have a similar approach with my build, so I hope I don't sound like I'm diss'ing on your build. I think you are going about it with top shelf products, and a solid understanding of how you want your rig to behave. What Rancho shocks did you go with? RS55239/RS55241?