Steve's 1998 Wrangler axle swap and build

SteveBarrus

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The Build starts tomorrow 1/28/19.

1998 Wrangler Sport 235000 ish miles, Dana 30/35 3.07 open axles

So far 3.5 OME Lift, 15x33R12.5, heavy duty front & rear bumpers, winch.

To come;
Dana 44, 4.10 Rubicon air locker, disk brakes, rear axle swap
HP Dana 30, 4.10 E-locker,
Alloy USA chromoly front manual locking hub conversion
Vanco 16" Big Brake kit
Dana 300 with Behemoth flip kit, JB conversions 32 spline front and rear outputs, 4-to-1 Low Max gears, AA flip ring and dual cable shifters.
Engine - timing chain, water pump, radiator, all fluids, o2 sensors, belts, idlers, exhaust

jeep1.jpg

jeep3.jpg

Jeep4.jpg

I have a '98 Sahara, as well. Same color. I see you must be from the wet side of Washington. Where about, if you don't mind me asking?
Very nice to meet you. Have you done the Washington Back Country Discovery Route? Plan on doing it this summer

Very nice to meet you. Have you done the Washington Back Country Discovery Route? Plan on doing it this summer
My '98 is in the garage with the rear axle out of it, and a ton of parts waiting to go on. I've been acquiring quite the supply of parts over the course of a year. Just need the time to get 'em on there. As for the WBCDR, I've seen a few videos on that. It definitely is something I want to do, though it's unlikely it'll happen this year.

Got the axle painted, carpet removed and new low back black seats installed. The old seats suffered 200,000 plus miles with 350 lbs riding in them. Eventually I will get the floor sprayed with black liner. But that will come after.

I will pick up the new to me, 90,000 mile hp Dana 30 tomorrow and prep to swap rear axles Thursday.

DC76BDFA-3E54-4345-A810-090E0A09AEB4.jpeg

0E7D3ED3-93C1-4ED6-9BE3-EDEFC17B5AD2.jpeg

Reactions: Ardenlonewolf
Nice low backs, Steve. What are they out of? Or are they aftermarket? I actually prefer low back buckets to high backs, but I do understand the safety benefits of the high backs. Anyway, they look great!

Nice low backs, Steve. What are they out of? Or are they aftermarket? I actually prefer low back buckets to high backs, but I do understand the safety benefits of the high backs. Anyway, they look great!
After market from 4wheel parts. I like to easily see behind me when out in the woods. Lol

Reactions: Squatch
It has been slow as of late. 40 inches of snow when we generally do not see snow. Three weeks later still 8 inches of snow. I do not have a garage so Jeep is sitting on blocks in 8 inches of snow with out a rear end. But on the positive Got my beautiful Behemoth Drive train flip kit, AA flip ring, twin cable shifters, JB Conversions LOMAX 4 to 1 gears, 32 spline front and rear kits. so this week I will build the Dana 300. Also got the RCV axles, OX Locker & ring and pinion. wooo hooo I am off all week.

AA flip ring.jpg

re
Got the axle painted, carpet removed and new low back black seats installed. The old seats suffered 200,000 plus miles with 350 lbs riding in them. Eventually I will get the floor sprayed with black liner. But that will come after.

I will pick up the new to me, 90,000 mile hp Dana 30 tomorrow and prep to swap rear axles Thursday.

View attachment 74975

View attachment 74976
really like these low back seats

Finished prepping the Dana 44 for tomorrow’s installation. I got adjustable upper and lower with Johnny joints.

Also picked up my gift front HP Dana 30 and tore her down so I can get her rebuilt next.

View attachment 75083

View attachment 75084
Continued working on the Dana 30 HP. Removed everything, pulled the axles and marked the caps. R&red everything inside keeping the pinion and bearing shims separated. Cleaned and painted the front end. Adjusted the clearances and I nstalled the new 4.1 ring & pinion on the new OX locker. The inner seals were a challenge, I finally turned my seal set with the handle through the seal, put a 1” pipe down the axle and pounded the seal in place.

The Dana 300 is coming along. Got it torn apart, cleaned, washed, primed and painted. The lomax gears are scheduled for delivery tomorrow and assembly will begin. The Behamoth flip lid is perfect for bringing the shift assembly to the new top. The shifter holes will be tapped 1/2 NPT and plugged with silicone on the threads.

D2756D42-AA7D-4ED8-8215-8894A46A4182.jpeg

E762AD48-0997-4890-BE6F-38C36CC89373.jpeg

Reactions: tworley
I can see we are cut from similar cloth, anal retentive as hell! 😆

I admire your ability to work in the snowy temps 🥶. Looking mighty fine!!

EDIT: Nice work on the diff gears...right smack in the middle (y)

Reactions: SteveBarrus