StG58's 1999 Jeep Wrangler SE

First time in 37 years the wife and I had Christmas Eve all to ourselves. So, we loaded up the little Jeep and headed off to find snow.

20181224_161543.jpg

20181224_161517.jpg

Awesome pics, my friend. Beautiful!
Thank you. Once again though, I spent more time driving and less taking pictures.
Nice..... staying in the Christmas spirit with the Christmas lights on your windshield. :)
Lol, you noticed! It was a Christmas road trip. The battery powered Christmas lights were the wife's idea. $3 at the five and dime, a pair of AA batteries and away we went. Really put us in the spirit, and the other folks we ran into pointed, smiled and waved, mostly. It was fun.

Thank you. Once again though, I spent more time driving and less taking pictures.

Lol, you noticed! It was a Christmas road trip. The battery powered Christmas lights were the wife's idea. $3 at the five and dime, a pair of AA batteries and away we went. Really put us in the spirit, and the other folks we ran into pointed, smiled and waved, mostly. It was fun.
That's what counts..... "Having fun". Good for you two!

Reactions: StG58
What a nice day!
We do have more good weather on the way here.
It was very nice out there Sunday.

Got caught in the same trap as always though. Sun came up, the snow crust got soft, and the little Jeep broke through and high centered. Spent 45 minutes straightening that nonsense out. Sheesh, I really need a winch on this thing. I'm getting too old to be using a hilift for extractions.

On the bright side, the new to me side by side shotgun patterns well with about any ammo you feed it, and the wife did well with her 1911.

Saw two deer, a bald eagle and some cayotes. Also pulled a full size Chevy truck out. Several folks were up enjoying the day, about half of them had no business being there. There were animal tracks everywhere.

The debate over selectable lockers vs Trutracs continues...lol.

Reactions: ElectricWizard
It was very nice out there Sunday.

Got caught in the same trap as always though. Sun came up, the snow crust got soft, and the little Jeep broke through and high centered. Spent 45 minutes straightening that nonsense out. Sheesh, I really need a winch on this thing. I'm getting too old to be using a hilift for extractions.

On the bright side, the new to me side by side shotgun patterns well with about any ammo you feed it, and the wife did well with her 1911.

Saw two deer, a bald eagle and some cayotes. Also pulled a full size Chevy truck out. Several folks were up enjoying the day, about half of them had no business being there. There were animal tracks everywhere.

The debate over selectable lockers vs Trutracs continues...lol.
What??? You used a Hi-Lift jack???
I'm surprised you're here to tell about it!!
I sure like side by side shot guns! I'll get me one some day. My Dad had a real nice one. When he passed away my wicked step-mother wouldn't let me have it.

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58
What??? You used a Hi-Lift jack???
I'm surprised you're here to tell about it!!
I sure like side by side shot guns! I'll get me one some day. My Dad had a real nice one. When he passed away my wicked step-brother wouldn't let me have it.
Surprised I admitted that, huh? Hi-lift and a lift mate.

Lifted three tires out of the holes they were in, dug the snow out from under the skid plate, filled the holes in and backed out onto the packed snow. Away we went. It works just like it does in soft sand. Winch would have been faster though.

Got a super deal on a Zastava shotgun at Cabellas. 16 gauge. For the price, it was worth the gamble. Probably made from melted down surplus T-34 tanks or something. Shoots really well and it'll be smooth once all the crap gets cleaned out of it. Too bad about that double your step brother snatched up. Those old shotguns work better than anything for upland bird hunting. Nothing like grouse on the campfire whilst out deer or elk hunting.

Last edited:
That is exactly the type of terrain and scenery that I look forward to experiencing. Thanks for sharing the pics! (y)
You're welcome, Squatch, it's a blast and you and I have thousands of miles of that close to home. How's your TJ coming along?
I see you were sticking to highways this weekend! I can see that trail...
lol right!? Those older trails are a lot of fun, if not particularly challenging. Different scenario once the brush grows in later in the spring. That was an old skid trail. No gravel under the pine needles, moss and dirt. The reprod was about 30 - 40 years old, so the trail was older than that. Most of the newer trails have 4" minus rock on them under the crud.

It's fun finding an older trail like that. Some go for miles and end up at small lakes or big wetlands. Or old logging camps and homesteads. The occasional mine. You just never know what you'll find or see.