Still buying Chinese products?

I was more looking for one machine to do all my drilling/ milling needs and was looking at mini mills like the Grizzly G0704 or Precision Mathews PM25mv but I don't think they would take care of my larger drilling needs in the shop. That and as much as I'd like one a mill is out of my price range right now.

Only thing you might consider is a drill press normally is capable of much higher spindle speed making drilling small holes cleaner. As far as low speed stuff there isn't too much difference. For example the maximum speed on the two machines you listed is about 2k or 5/8" diameter hole for wood so anything smaller than that you might get a rough finish. I only mention wood because you were talking about the forstner bit. I'm pretty regularly running 6400rpm to drill 1/4 holes. Like I said just something to consider if you enjoy woodworking too.

Problem ladies & gentleman is that NOTHING is made is the U.S.A anymore ................ 🙄
This would be more accurate if it said: Not much is made in the USA anymore--or few things are even 100% made in the USA anymore.
Your food is mostly USA but not all since fresh produce out of season is more effectively grown south of our border
Much of our machinery that is made in the USA has steel coming in from abroad and selected components like gearboxes and electrical parts.
Your lawn fertilizer was bagged in the USA but was Canadian potash, Florida Phosphates, and Russian urea. (we gave up producing nitrogen from natural gas before fracking came about)
Your vehicles--well we all know that story- likely assembled here with parts from all over.
BUT-- for you cheeseheads--Wisconsin Cheese is all USA man-—- :p

My only point is while it is difficult nowadays to buy any 100% USA product - -if you go back to my earlier post about the importance of taxes, wages, and overall funds to support our way of life - we should not lose sight of doing the best we can in every purchase.

I got it about also buying tools/equip that fits the budget at times- sometimes the tool you are buying is going to be an infrequent use item- heck- i buy cheap there too with little thought to pay 2-3X for a high quality USA made one. Plus sometimes it is not easy to figure out where the stuff is really coming from.

Reactions: bedhed
we all need friends when things go south, even the ones we don't exactly see eye to eye with.

lol, friends? China is our mortal enemy intent on our destruction and subjugation. Supply chains being what they are we have to deal with the devil but don't try to cast them as "friends" of ours.

He believed the "Buy American" jingoism of his day was misguided at best and actually foolish as advocated by some under the mantle of patriotism. His belief was that all things being equal, in a free market it is beneficial for a nation's economy to acquire its goods and services from the cheapest source and it is immaterial from an economic standpoint whether that source is a foreign country.

These "intellectuals" would change their tune as soon as their jobs were outsourced to Chinese nationals.

Last edited:
I try not to buy Chinese products because they are substandard for the most part. Been doing this long before this damn virus hit us.
That is a great reason to avoid anything. The whole substandard discussion reminds me of Japanese cars, they were garbage until they weren't.

Last edited:
Reactions: bedhed
I always look for the "USA made" label and buy it. Try to keep my fellow Americans with a job so they can support a family, buy a jeep...etc... Besides...I am "USA made" and like my stuff to match my ass....hah ha ha

I try not to buy Chinese products because they are substandard for the most part. Been doing this long before this damn virus hit us.

That is exactly what I was going to post.

Besides...I am "USA made" and like my stuff to match my ass....hah ha ha

And I wish I could have said I was going to post that.

Reactions: gg1 and Davidtj
I do my best to buy American products when I can. I always have. I even bought an American made stereo. Electronics are tough to find manufactured domestically. I prefer US made tools but some items like drip pans, magnetic trays and such are probably Chinese. When I was a kid, everything was made in the USA and quality was awesome. Just compare and old pair of Vise Grips to the new Irwin made products. I prefer to give business to my American neighbors, it only makes sense. I'd rather buy their products than pay for their food and welfare checks. Here are some US tool tips. Wright, SK, Williams, Mayhew, Wilton, Hein-Werner, Estwing, Trusty Cook, Klein, Lang, Wilde, Channel Lock just to name a few. Some of these brands may have cheaper end lines that are made off shore, watch carefully. I bought most of my Snap-On tools in the 1970's and they still look and function flawlessly.

Reactions: Blondie70
I always look for the "USA made" label and buy it. Try to keep my fellow Americans with a job so they can support a family, buy a jeep...etc... Besides...I am "USA made" and like my stuff to match my ass....hah ha ha
Many don't know this but USA made only means 51% of the cost is domestic. A company can import every single metal, plastic, and glass component produced by child slave labor then assemble it with a relatively "high dollar" American worker in a high overhead factory. Bam, made in 'Merica.

I'm quite amused with some of the stuff coming out of the current situation. Here in Australia it's a common comment that 'we don't do manufacturing here anymore'. Last week the government put out a document asking for businesses that could tool up for manufacturing of items needed for the Corona to contract them, as their current supply lines had dried up. You'd think that they'd learn but guarantee once this is over they'll be back to Chinese suppliers.

Also had a interesting conversation with a guy who was showing me photos of his recent Lamborghini Performante purchase. He made comment that he hated paying local Indian IT workers as he could get the same service as these guys out of India for less than half the rate. Personally I feel if you live in a country you should support it, found this guys outlook rather distasteful.

My great, great, great grandfather was a Scotsman and killed many Englishmen just for being on his land, but he was a pretty nice guy besides that.

Reactions: Somehellgiven
I wrote a long paper for a masters class a few years back that centered around the rampant intellectual property theft that happens over there. All the research I did made me lose a lot of respect for those folks and how it seems to be a culturally accepted idea that stealing someone else's stuff is OK. Fake Apple Stores, fake BMWs, fake fighter jets...

they were looking a buying the abrams main battle tank or the leopard main battle tank (British).
After many months of testing both tanks. They decided to just build their own. Funny enough, their tank looks like a mix of the abrams and leopard.

I buy American as much as I can. When I was working in Saudi Arabia I would laugh when I would go to the stores. So much stuff was “ Made in America”.

Reactions: Blondie70