Still have an oil leak after replacing valve cover gasket oil pan gasket and rear main seal

Chickenfoot

I have recently replaced my Valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket and RMS but I still have a small oil leak. I did the RMS twice because I did have half of it in backwards the first time. This is on a 4.0 L 2005 wrangler X with a manual transmission. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Where is it leaking from? If it's leaking oil from that typical RMS area, are you sure it's oil and not transmission fluid?

Reactions: Pfarmer
Where is it leaking from? If it's leaking oil from that typical RMS area, are you sure it's oil and not transmission fluid?
Its dripping down the front of the bell housing cover plate. Pretty sure its oil. Doesn't have that funky gear oil smell

It is possible you slightly tore the new seal when installing it. This would cause the new seal to leak.
EDIT: you did use a new seal the second time after incorrectly installing the first one, correct?

Reactions: Chris
Maybee retighten the valvecover gasket.
I haven't done the gasket on a tj yet,but on other vehicles Ive had them need retightened a little while after they were replaced. That was with cork type gaskets

It is possible you slightly tore the new seal when installing it. This would cause the new seal to leak.
EDIT: you did use a new seal the second time after incorrectly installing the first one, correct?
Yes I used a new RMS and oil pan gasket both times. I was incredibly careful removing old seal and installng new one.

Any oil on the passenger side of the engine?

Could the oil sending unit or Camshaft Position Sensor along with the fan/air look like oil on the bell housing?

I have recently replaced my Valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket and RMS but I still have a small oil leak. I did the RMS twice because I did have half of it in backwards the first time. This is on a 4.0 L 2005 wrangler X with a manual transmission. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
How and what did you use to clean the bell housing out after you changed the RMS? Oil gets blown up behind the flywheel and coats the inside of the bell housing . That shit can drip for weeks it seems.

Pull the inspection cover and look up on there. If there is oil I would use brake cleaner and carefully rinse out the bell housing
Dont go nuts. You dont want to blow it all over the clutch. Rinse it out slowly until the brake cleaner runs out clear.

You could use simple green too, but might take more of that than brake cleaner.

Let us know. There isn't a whole lot of places for oil to leak out back there. You did the 3 big ones.

Its dripping down the front of the bell housing cover plate. Pretty sure its oil. Doesn't have that funky gear oil smell
Just re read this. What type of gasket did you use on the oil pan. I used the 1 piece fel pro on my last few 4.0s. Multi piece gaskets may require rtv to seal up the joints.

4.0 oil pans also get distorted easily around the bolt holes. I usually check them for flatness and beat them into submission if they are not.

Any news yet? I've replaced my rms, oil pan gasket, and valve cover gasket twice each. Still leaking oil. New oil too so I know it's not residual oil in the bell housing.

No oil on the oil pan at all and its dry all around the valve cover up top. And was really careful putting the rms in. With the deep groove on it facing the front of the engine. I'm lost at this point. It's still a good sized leak too. Please help!!!

Also there isnt any oil around the side of the motor. Just oil at the very bottom of the bell housing.

It's a good under coating aside from all the smoke coming from my jeep at 55 mph+

16033093509713946513514244737149.jpg

Any news yet? I've replaced my rms, oil pan gasket, and valve cover gasket twice each. Still leaking oil. New oil too so I know it's not residual oil in the bell housing.

No oil on the oil pan at all and its dry all around the valve cover up top. And was really careful putting the rms in. With the deep groove on it facing the front of the engine. I'm lost at this point. It's still a good sized leak too. Please help!!!

Also there isnt any oil around the side of the motor. Just oil at the very bottom of the bell housing.

It's a good under coating aside from all the smoke coming from my jeep at 55 mph+

How long had it leaked before you changed the gaskets and RMS?

You may not think its residual but it very well could be. I did the same job on mine awhile back and it leaked for a good 3 months or better until it finally stopped. I just kept wiping all the oil away after each drive. I almost did the job again but I could finally see less and less oil leaking from the bell housing.

Had that happen to me replaced everything and it still leaked replaced the oil pressure sending unit, leak is gone. Look where your oil filter is if you see lots of oil may be it. I also cleaned everything and made it look it’s best.

How and what did you use to clean the bell housing out after you changed the RMS? Oil gets blown up behind the flywheel and coats the inside of the bell housing . That shit can drip for weeks it seems.

This was my experience, knock on wood. When I replaced my RMS, I only had the front of the jeep lifted on ramps. I cleaned the front of the transmission and inspection cover. after everything was reassembled, I started the engine and let it run while looking for leaks. I had none, while on the ramps. After the removed the ramps, I saw some oil spots on the garage floor the next morning. I was gutted, until I discovered the oil was coming from behind the inspection cover after my jeep was sitting level.

When I replaced my RMS, I cleaned the lower bearing cap and upper seal area. To clean the upper seal area, I fished a piece of safety wire through the passageway, and used the wire to pull a length of paracord. I pulled the paracord back and forth, like a pipe cleaner to remove any crud. I sprayed the passageway liberally with cleaner to flush any residue.

Last edited:
I had an RMS area leak. Looked up how to replace it, found the part, almost ordered, and went to look at one more thing under the jeep. Some dripped on me and it was brownish red. Still haven’t figure it out, but it’s not engine oil.

• Wow
I had an RMS area leak. Looked up how to replace it, found the part, almost ordered, and went to look at one more thing under the jeep. Some dripped on me and it was brownish red. Still haven’t figure it out, but it’s not engine oil.
Sounds like trans fluid. I had the same issue with my '06 auto. Turned out to be leaking from the trans cooler lines.

Sounds like trans fluid. I had the same issue with my '06 auto. Turned out to be leaking from the trans cooler lines.
Its definitely trans fluid. I just haven’t figured out the source. It is all over the top of the transmission, but virtually no dripping on the ground. I’ll check the cooler lines. Thanks for the tip.