Stingray 2 door JLR

Starrs

TJ Guru
6DCB2819-F5BD-4C4B-89E9-5ABDCC4AC03B.png
BFD28549-0AD5-4F1B-B2B5-7BA90FCED209.png
2” lift and 37s would make that look even better. It will be interesting to see what AEV has planned for the new platform. Some may hate the “new” Wrangler, but it’s hard to argue with how cool that color is.

I really like the 2 door JL, and that color is great.

I saw a white, AEV clad, Rock Hard Rubicon, 2 door JK today. I'd be happy with one of those too.

Reactions: Starrs
I can't get over how square they are. I mean the Tj's are square, but with rounded edges, but I just can't like the JK's or JL's yet. Can't get over the box look. Maybe a JL with a soft top may look better. I just cannot give up my TJ yet! Don't get me started on the obnoxious fender flares and huge plastic bumpers!

No thanks!

I can't get over how square they are. I mean the Tj's are square, but with rounded edges, but I just can't like the JK's or JL's yet. Can't get over the box look. Maybe a JL with a soft top may look better. I just cannot give up my TJ yet! Don't get me started on the obnoxious fender flares and huge plastic bumpers!

No thanks!
You countered your own statement with how they are so square so I’m glad you agree the TJ is infact a box also lol. Yea it’s not for everybody, but I can appreciate a different look.

No thanks!

The TJs look classic, no argument there. I can't stand those stupid vents in the fender on the JLs... they look obnoxious. Don't even get me started on the obscene amount of plastic they use on these new Jeeps (even the TJ has too much plastic for my liking, but the JL takes it to another level entirely).

Don't give up on your TJ. These JLs are just electronic crap waiting to break. Oh, and also... don't be dumb enough to spend upwards of 45k on a recreational vehicle like a Wrangler. I'm sorry, but in some places that would pay for half a house!

These things are more than 50k fully loaded, and that's not including sales tax or fees!

Reactions: ac_
The TJs look classic, no argument there. I can't stand those stupid vents in the fender on the JLs... they look obnoxious. Don't even get me started on the obscene amount of plastic they use on these new Jeeps (even the TJ has too much plastic for my liking, but the JL takes it to another level entirely).

Don't give up on your TJ. These JLs are just electronic crap waiting to break. Oh, and also... don't be dumb enough to spend upwards of 45k on a recreational vehicle like a Wrangler. I'm sorry, but in some places that would pay for half a house!

These things are more than 50k fully loaded, and that's not including sales tax or fees!
If you have the money it’s a good vehicle to get...if it’s what you want. I get this is s TJ forum, but it looks WAY better than a jk IMO. The whole interior of my TJ is made of plastic and hard rubber. I want to see one of these 90k dollar homes hahaha. Change isn’t always a bad thing, and I’d say jeep engineers are paid very well to design and engineer top notch electronics...that’s always the first gripe is the electronics. I for one think it’s kinda nice to have more options with stuff like that. Anyway it’s not everybody’s cup of tea, but if it’s in your ballpark finiacially why the hell not lol. Yea you shouldn’t buy a vehicle if your payment is gonna be 700/800 per month if you know you can’t afford it; that is dumb. You have to know your obligations and your financial situation..some can do it some can’t.

It is funny you say that because I bought my house during the huge housing crash in 2011 for exactly that. I got my house on a short sale for 90K, and a stupid low interest rate on a 15 year. I owe less on my house than the price of that! haha I bet my mortgage payments are less than the payments.

It is funny you say that because I bought my house during the huge housing crash in 2011 for exactly that. I got my house on a short sale for 90K, and a stupid low interest rate on a 15 year. I owe less on my house than the price of that! haha I bet my mortgage payments are less than the payments.

We owe 55k on our house. A Jeep at that price is a crime...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We owe 55k on our house. A Jeep at that price is a crime...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good job getting your home almost paid off. I roughly owe around 70. 15 yr loan 3.1% interest rate. If your debt free minus your home hardly a crime. Again you have to know your situations..not everybody lives the same as the next person. If you can jump into a new JL for 40k like some are priced hardly see that as a bad move.

Reactions: oldditchdoctor
Also wanted to add it’s just like when somebody is deciding what TJ to buy. You can get the sport or the Rubicon. Ppl complained about how much a TJR cost so they went with the sport model..nothing wrong with that. The JL sport model is like 32k. So the 55k estimate on the JL is going to be a fully loaded JLU, and unless you make 6 figures or you have it in your disposable income to do so no you prolly shouldn’t be buying that version of the JL.

Eh, 2-door JKs and JLs look nice. They aren't as good looking as TJs or older models, but they're generally fine.

If I was given a JL Rubi like this, I'd enjoy the hell out of it, but my biggest problem with the price is less about how lofty it is in of itself and more that if I was to buy the nicest TJ that I could find on the market and outfit it with all the nicest and most expensive mods I could dream of, I could still easily do so for way below $45k.

And even though the JL Rubi is a very capable off-road Jeep in its stock form, I still think that at bare minimum, you'd need to get a winch for it and I'm not even sure if you could mount it on that stock bumper without issues.

Eh, 2-door JKs and JLs look nice. They aren't as good looking as TJs or older models, but they're generally fine.

If I was given a JL Rubi like this, I'd enjoy the hell out of it, but my biggest problem with the price is less about how lofty it is in of itself and more that if I was to buy the nicest TJ that I could find on the market and outfit it with all the nicest and most expensive mods I could dream of, I could still easily do so for way below $45k.

And even though the JL Rubi is a very capable off-road Jeep in its stock form, I still think that at bare minimum, you'd need to get a winch for it and I'm not even sure if you could mount it on that stock bumper without issues.
It accepts winches. I get your points tho

Reactions: Equilibrium31
It's funny, but one thing I hate about the JKs is how many straight lines and 90 degree angles there are compared to the TJ.

But on the JL, it doesn't bother me as much. I wonder why?

Also wanted to add it’s just like when somebody is deciding what TJ to buy. You can get the sport or the Rubicon. Ppl complained about how much a TJR cost so they went with the sport model..nothing wrong with that. The JL sport model is like 32k. So the 55k estimate on the JL is going to be a fully loaded JLU, and unless you make 6 figures or you have it in your disposable income to do so no you prolly shouldn’t be buying that version of the JL.

Again 32K is too much to replace all of the suspension and wheels and tires and gearing most likely, then go out and slide it into a tree.
I was agreeing with @Chris ' point that it was too much money to go beat on unless like you say you have disposable income.

Outside of all of that they are too far away from the standard jeep for my taste. but I won't judge.

Again 32K is too much to replace all of the suspension and wheels and tires and gearing most likely, then go out and slide it into a tree.
I was agreeing with @Chris ' point that it was too much money to go beat on unless like you say you have disposable income.

Outside of all of that they are too far away from the standard jeep for my taste. but I won't judge.
Totally understand. I don’t beat on any of my vehicles and never have. I like to take the to off, but I’m not crawling. It is expensive, but I just wanted to share the 2 door new color. Thought it was cool. Am I going to buy one this afternoon...no lol. But I would love to have one.

It really gets expensive when you consider they you’ll pay 50k plus for a new JLR before taxes and everything. Then if you start modding it like we mod our TJs, you’ll be into it another 15k in no time, which is 65k!

At least with my TJ when it’s all said and done I won’t be over 40k at the very, very worst.

But then the other issue is why a JL? Aside from a different look, it’s still two doors, a removable top, removable doors, and the same thing as any other Wrangler, just with more bells and whistles.

I’m only trying to be practical about it. I could go out and buy a JL if I wanted to, but it’s no better than my TJ.

Don't forget about inflation dudessss

The MSRP of my SPORT 1999 TJ is $35,069.84 adjusted for inflation. The sticker is $23k(with all options added).

Although I would not buy a new JL. I don't think $45k for a new Rubicon is too far off what these used to be. If I was to compare Sport vs Sport I think they would be similar in price but the JL will have better standard and safety features.

I wouldn't buy a new JL but still.... they are similar in price when you compare new vs new prices at time of release.

Last edited:
I really wanted the Sting-Gray color when we got our JL but the wife wouldn't get on board. I seem to have a thing for non-metallic paints on certain vehicles as I still want a matte black truck at some point.