Stink Bug Problem

Meli

This may be a weird question but I figured I'd try and see if anyone has had this issue. When I bought my 04 LJ I saw it had a few dead stink bugs in the back, no big deal, I took it to the car wash, vacuumed, and cleaned everything. I found a few live ones and took them out of the car as I found them. The tailgate weather strip was missing when I bought it but I immediately ordered one and put it on. figured that's how they had gotten in, through the gap. Now I've kept finding dead ones in the trunk and vacuum them up. As I was pulling up some parts of the carpet I found a few also, and I've had one crawl up my leg as I was driving. Not a good thing to happen as I'm driving. Has anyone had this issue?? I don't even know if this is even the right place to put this but I figured I'd try. I am getting citronella oil since I know that deters bugs, I'm probably going to have to pull out the carpet and the seats to figure out where the nest is if bugs spray and this oil doesn't work. Moth balls?? Maybe this is a good option too? I hate having to look around everywhere to make sure one isn't going to crawl on me as I'm driving. I'm sure maybe some of you will think this is silly, but it's a problem and don't know if maybe someone here has a solution for me or not. Worth the try I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
What about buying one of those bug bombs you would normally use in a house? Make sure the windows are up and the inside of the jeep is as weatherite as possible and set it off.

Reactions: Zorba
What about buying one of those bug bombs you would normally use in a house? Make sure the windows are up and the inside of the jeep is as weatherite as possible and set it off.

I've thought about this, but I worry about the chemicals in it. I have my dog in the car with me sometimes. But I do wonder if they sell minimal-risk bug bombs that you can use around pets.

Similar issues here in Oregon.

They usually all die out during cold winters.

I'd check your antifreeze and find a deep freeze warehouse that you can stash it for 48 hours.

Never really can get rid of all of them.

-Mac

• Wow
Reactions: psrivats
This may be a weird question but I figured I'd try and see if anyone has had this issue. When I bought my 04 LJ I saw it had a few dead stink bugs in the back, no big deal, I took it to the car wash, vacuumed, and cleaned everything. I found a few live ones and took them out of the car as I found them. The tailgate weather strip was missing when I bought it but I immediately ordered one and put it on. figured that's how they had gotten in, through the gap. Now I've kept finding dead ones in the trunk and vacuum them up. As I was pulling up some parts of the carpet I found a few also, and I've had one crawl up my leg as I was driving. Not a good thing to happen as I'm driving. Has anyone had this issue?? I don't even know if this is even the right place to put this but I figured I'd try. I am getting citronella oil since I know that deters bugs, I'm probably going to have to pull out the carpet and the seats to figure out where the nest is if bugs spray and this oil doesn't work. Moth balls?? Maybe this is a good option too? I hate having to look around everywhere to make sure one isn't going to crawl on me as I'm driving. I'm sure maybe some of you will think this is silly, but it's a problem and don't know if maybe someone here has a solution for me or not. Worth the try I guess.

Where do you park the vehicle?

Similar issues here in Oregon.

They usually all die out during cold winters.

I'd check your antifreeze and find a deep freeze warehouse that you can stash it for 48 hours.

Never really can get rid of all of them.

-Mac

Great! I guess I'll just get some pet-friendly bug repellent and hope for the best. It's getting warmer here in Nashville and I'm worried I'm going to be seeing more of them. I also read that they leave pheromones which attract other stink bugs...

Couple folks here swear by taping a flashlight to a soda bottle wrapped in foil half full of water. They're attracted to the light, crawl in and drown.

-Mac

Couple folks here swear by taping a flashlight to a soda bottle wrapped in foil half full of water. They're attracted to the light, crawl in and drown.

-Mac
That seems like a smart idea. I was reading that they hate the smell of mint, and I have some peppermint essential oil from a diffuser. I diluted it in water and sprayed the crap out of the inside, I sprayed it everywhere! and then added some drops of pure oil to the carpet in the front and the back. it'll smell like a mint factory but we'll see if that will make them leave.

Reactions: John Cooper
They’ve been bad in the south the last year.

Close your outside fresh air vent before you shut it down comes to mind.

stink bugs and lantern flies love Tree of Heaven (ToH). Start killing it off around you and you will significantly reduce the population of the bugs. I've cleared my 5-acres of the trees and after 4-years, convince all my neighbors to do the same. I still see some of the damned bugs but not like it use to be. BTW, ToH makes an ok firewood.

https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=43959

You might want to pull out the carpet and seats.then wash them.

Yeah… that’s gonna be my plan. I basically stayed up all night researching a solution. There’s a insecticide called phantom that should hopefully work on these bugs. They are nesters and gather together in groups so when they come into contact with the insecticide (that supposedly dries clear and odorless in about 60 mins) they take it to their little nest and infect other stink bugs and they slowly start dying over a day or two. I’m gonna pull the carpet out, clean them and spray that underneath. 🤞🤞

Reactions: Rickyd and JMT
I had to look up what a (stink bug)was?just moving to Florida is a whole new meaning to bugs and critters!

As a native Floridian, welcome to Florida! I will say I had never seen or heard of a stink bug until three years ago when I moved to TN. But they are an invasive species and are growing in population. I wonder if they’ve made their way down there? But enjoy the Florida weather (I miss it!) and remember… if there’s a body of water it probably has a gator on it! 🐊 and make best friends with sandhill cranes, if you haven’t heard them yet, you will! They mate for life and around this time they start mating and babies start to hatch. You’ll see them walking around with a little baby Sandhill crane. They are very cute!

You may find stink bugs in your car because of many different reasons. The most common one is a change in seasons.

When stink bug season approaches (March-September), they’ll start to appear everywhere- your yard, car, and even inside your home.
Stink bugs are attracted to various scents. They may be drawn to the fragrance of your lotion, deodorant, perfume, cologne, shampoo, or body wash. Additionally, if you have food, trash, or fruits and vegetables in your car, their scent can also lure stink bugs2.
Now, let’s tackle the issue of getting rid of these stinky pests from your car:

• Vacuum Them Up: Use a handheld vacuum cleaner to suck up any stink bugs you find in your car.
  • Sunlight: Park your car in direct sunlight. Stink bugs dislike heat, and the sun’s rays can drive them away.
  • Diatomaceous Earth: Sprinkle diatomaceous earth around your vehicle if you park in the same spot regularly. This natural powder can help kill stink bugs.
  • Plants: Certain plants, like mint or garlic, can repel stink bugs. Consider placing potted plants inside your car.
  • Bug Bombs: Use insecticides specifically designed for stink bugs, following the instructions carefully.
the more you know (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Do cats eat stinkbugs? Could you release a bunch of cats into your Jeep to eat the stinkbugs?

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper