Stock alternator or higher amp alternator?

Please enlighten me as to what makes them so Fucked up, aside from the OPD and possible pcm problems.

The steering box is a German POS. PSC has the best solution but it's expensive.

There are many haters for the 6 speed NSG370, another German gem. My Jeep has had at least 3 owners and the transmission lasted over 100K miles before the known issue with reverse became an issue for me. A kit to fix this issue was developed early on in the TJ/JK lifetimes. So the easiest solutions are to either swap in a 5 speed AX15 or go with a rebuilt NSG370 from a reliable rebuilder with the fix for reverse. I went with a rebuilt NSG370 but can't test it yet due to a shoulder surgery before I got it back together. Not all NSG370s suffer from the issue. Not sure when the reverse fix hit the assembly line.

OPDA AFAIC is a non-issue as long as you deal with it before any significant cam damage occurs. It's a lot easier than a lot of people make it seem to replace the OPDA and keep the original CPS.

The only PCM issues I know of are with the auto transmission. I have no personal experience with them but it seems at least some have had good luck with new/reman PCMs that fix the issue. I don't know how common the issue is.

I'm sure Jerry will chime in with something else but that's all I can think of.

Some other years have issues with cracked heads. I think a cracked exhaust manifold is an issue for some years. So 05/06 is not the only version with issues. I'm sure there are more.

The steering box is a German POS. PSC has the best solution but it's expensive.

There are many haters for the 6 speed NSG370, another German gem. My Jeep has had at least 3 owners and the transmission lasted over 100K miles before the known issue with reverse became an issue for me. A kit to fix this issue was developed early on in the TJ/JK lifetimes. So the easiest solutions are to either swap in a 5 speed AX15 or go with a rebuilt NSG370 from a reliable rebuilder with the fix for reverse. I went with a rebuilt NSG370 but can't test it yet due to a shoulder surgery before I got it back together. Not all NSG370s suffer from the issue. Not sure when the reverse fix hit the assembly line.

OPDA AFAIC is a non-issue as long as you deal with it before any significant cam damage occurs. It's a lot easier than a lot of people make it seem to replace the OPDA and keep the original CPS.

The only PCM issues I know of are with the auto transmission. I have no personal experience with them but it seems at least some have had good luck with new/reman PCMs that fix the issue. I don't know how common the issue is.

I'm sure Jerry will chime in with something else but that's all I can think of.

Some other years have issues with cracked heads. I think a cracked exhaust manifold is an issue for some years. So 05/06 is not the only version with issues. I'm sure there are more.
I know the steering box is a POS. I snapped the pitman shaft on mine, currently running the PSC box.
But..... The steering box on my 00 TJ shit the bed at about 80k.

My NG370 trans has seen some serious abuse. It has held up better than the NV3550 in my old tj, which ended up getting a Terminator AX15 once it exploded. . I actually prefer the 6 speed over the 5 speed.

OPDA is really a non issue, been replaced.

PCM issues with the 05-06 is a non issue for me.

I believe all TJ's have their quirks. I actually had more problems with my 00 TJ than I did with my 05.

I switched to the V10 Viper coil pack recently, so that solved any issue of trapping the coil rail. I can pull all the spark plugs and wires out without ever touching the alternator, even with the tab still installed.
I will have to keep this option in mind.

So the 2005/6 models even block access to the coil pack with the alternator? That's just one more reason I'd never buy an 05/06 now. They really fucked up those two years.
This is not a problem when using the 05/06 stock alternator.

The Durango alternator has an extra mount that's unused for our install, but it blocks the coil rail unless you lop it off.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford