Stock front brake calipers

As far as stock calipers go I know @mrblaine offers a zinc coated caliper. The nice zinc lasts 2-3 winters in lovely NYS. Trust me I’m diligent about washing this rig. I’m about to try these NAPA E-coated calipers.
Anyone? Opinions?

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ADC2328XA
If it is real e-coat, it should be as good or better than zinc. Being a reman, what you get depends on who does the work. Lots of the crap companies will reuse the piston if it isn't damaged and tell you it is a new one. The sealing rings for the crush washers get beat up in the cleaning process and need to be remachined which leads to more issues if they don't do it correctly. I've seen them cut way too deep, cut off angle, not cut at all and missing due to too much time in the abrader and or rust. Check the bleed screw for a normal width hex. There are a bunch out there where the hex is very thin so it strips easily even with a 6 point wrench. You have to use a 6 point socket and not let it tip over.

When you get them, push the guide sleeves back and forth to check lube inside the dust boot. If it doesn't move very easily, pop the sleeves out and get some silicone brake grease in the slots at the middle of the dust booth. Make sure they include a new banjo, new thicker crush washers, and new bolts. Inspect the piston for damage. We see a lot of broken piston in reman stuff.

All of those issues are why we quit selling reman. I only sell new now to stop all the BS or most of it anyway.

Those are made by Cardone, which is now owned by the First Brands group....who has screwed up Centric and Raybestos in the previous several years. Their policy now is to re-use phenolic pistons, after running them through a centerless grinder to "clean them up".

Phenolics begin to structurally degrade over time and should never be reused (unless you know the history of it).

I've been in the caliper rebuilding industry for the last 20 years. I would not use a commercially rebuild caliper these days, they're all garbage.

Get the zinc ones from Blaine, shoot a couple coats of good paint on them before installation.

Reactions: Zorba
Well here it is.
New banjo bolt. New crush washers. New mounting bolts. Slides are greased and mobile. Coating has good coverage and $32 each.
The YJ got the Zinc calipers it’s garaged all winter.
Bens Sahara got the Zinc it lived in Virginia.
For my all season mud and rock LJ I’m going to give these a try.
Already have a set of BMB pads and rotors ready to go.
Passenger side has been hanging up so these are the replacement.
I really want new calipers instead of reman but I’m gonna give these a try. I’ll keep a close eye on them.
They won’t be installed just yet, I’ll keep y’all updated.
See pics

IMG_6214.jpeg

IMG_6213.jpeg

IMG_6212.jpeg

Those are made by Cardone, which is now owned by the First Brands group....who has screwed up Centric and Raybestos in the previous several years. Their policy now is to re-use phenolic pistons, after running them through a centerless grinder to "clean them up".

Phenolics begin to structurally degrade over time and should never be reused (unless you know the history of it).

I've been in the caliper rebuilding industry for the last 20 years. I would not use a commercially rebuild caliper these days, they're all garbage.

Get the zinc ones from Blaine, shoot a couple coats of good paint on them before installation.

Ok. I read this after I picked them up. I can return them without issue.
Hmmm, Well hot damn. I was really in to this e-coating.

Well here it is.
New banjo bolt. New crush washers. New mounting bolts. Slides are greased and mobile. Coating has good coverage and $32 each.
The YJ got the Zinc calipers it’s garaged all winter.
Bens Sahara got the Zinc it lived in Virginia.
For my all season mud and rock LJ I’m going to give these a try.
Already have a set of BMB pads and rotors ready to go.
Passenger side has been hanging up so these are the replacement.
I really want new calipers instead of reman but I’m gonna give these a try. I’ll keep a close eye on them.
They won’t be installed just yet, I’ll keep y’all updated.
See pics

View attachment 514045

View attachment 514046

View attachment 514047

Those marks look suspiciously like what the rose clip on a brake pad causes when you install it. New pistons should not have any marks in that area.
1711923785363.png

Reactions: John Cooper
Ok. I see what you see. That one was the opened box. The first two photos here are of that caliber. Third photo is of the box I just opened. It does seem someone fit a pad in there in the open box but not the other.
Maybe that’s why the box was open

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ok. I read this after I picked them up. I can return them without issue.
Hmmm, Well hot damn. I was really in to this e-coating.

Ideally, you want the sealing area for the crush washers to be clean and flat. The further they are from that, the more you have to tighten the banjo bolt.
1711924994762.png

Or this, either works.
1711925084415.png

Some things like brakes you doo’t go cheap. Unless you plan on selling soon.

For example this is Johnny Joints after 3 years. I clean the shit out of the undercarriage of this Jeep

Edit: I didn’t want to paint the Johnny Joints but I should have.
Now it’s 2x the work.
He isn't trying to be cheap, he is trying to find a coating that lasts longer than zinc plating.

Exactly.

IMG_6216.jpeg

IMG_6217.jpeg

Reactions: Weasellee and JMT