Stock front shock replacement

Neskie Crawler

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys. Noticed my right front fender is 1" lower than the left all of a sudden. Spring is fine. Is it easy to replace ( just swap-out ) stock shocks, and of course , I'll do both I've never replaced a shock absorber on any vehicle, do they need to be compressed, any special tools required? Thanks so much.

A bad shock won't cause it to lose any height. But to answer your question, they are very easy to replace and need no special tools.

Ok thanks for the super fast response! I never would have guessed causeit seemingly happened fast and is not broken. The spring is probably more difficult to replace than a shock, as they ARE under tension, I'll get my "guy" to replace both in the front. You guys are all awesome, really.

Thanks for the info Jerry. This really helps me out, Im excited into looking to do this myself now. And now I am thinking the tj has independent suspension-is it ok to replace just one spring, ot both and basically speaking, should a replacement go fairly smooth?

Remove the shocks, loosen the track bar and control arms, jack it up and the springs will literally fall out. Super easy swap. You need to do both springs.

You'll want to replace them in pairs. It's not a difficult job, but is more intensive than just replacing shocks. Youtube can be a great resource for things like this. I've searched for how to vids many times for things I wasn't sure of. :)