Stock radio / CD or other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leinhit

TJ Enthusiast
I missed out on the last couple freebie deals by just a few minutes.

does anyone have a stock radio / CD player for a 2001 TJ? I don't need anything super fancy just something to listen to on my way to work. The volume control button on mine no longer works at all. I don't even have the stock subwoofer / amp in the center console.

I'd be happy to pay the shipping...

I don't, but they can be found at pretty reasonable prices on eBay. I've seen them range from $30-$200, depending on the model you want.

My factory radio started acting crazy too. It never quit working completely, but it became finicky. I jumped the gun with mine and didn't research beforehand, but I later found a video on YouTube where an old radio tech showed how he's fixed many of these types of issues by spraying electric parts cleaner down into the potentiometer or encoders. In our case, the encoder. If were lucky, it's just debris caught up inside and hasn't damaged the contacts.

Why is it called an encoder and not a potientometer? What's the difference? I did take it out and blow air, but I can try the cleaner, thanks for the tip

No problem. I wish I would have researched beforehand and tried it on mine to test it. He claimed he's fixed many, and the replies from others and their results were positive. Worth a shot.

The radios we have in our Jeeps, along with probably any modern radio comes with an encoder now, instead of a potentiometer. Encoders aren't limited from left to right like potentiometers and their digital vs analog signal is more useful in audio headunits. Since we oftentimes have menus and functions that require repetitive scrolling, potentiometers have limitations in how far we could scroll/spin the knob.

Cool.. and the CD player doesn't work, although I don't care about that.. I'll give it a try, nothing to lose

Reactions: bedhed
No doubt. Worth a try. Locating that video would be helpful, but not a necessity. I can't remember what he used, but it seems he mentioned a common every item that he basically used as funnel. A drinking straw comes to mind, but I don't think it was that. But, it slipped right around the shaft so that the spray would give more of a direct blast straight down to the inner workings. If you do try to find it, maybe search "Encoder Repair Cleaning" or "Potentiometer Repair Cleaning".

The CD player may have a debris problem too. If it's just not reading discs, buying a lens cleaning disc would be an option, but maybe not if you're not to much worried with that part of the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.