Stock Radio Upgrade

So I took a closer look at the stereo currently in there and am thinking it's not stock, has a CD player and such. It's making me wonder if this is a 2 DIN unit...any thoughts here?

What you have (stock) is commonly called a 1.5 DIN, although it isn’t an official head unit standard some automakers did produce head units that fell roughly in between single and double DIN in height (about 3 inches).

Reactions: CBJason
82bbe8081a3ad68dbbea084a1457281a.jpg

Android... which means all the apps you could want.

Netflix, Pandora, Google nav, plex, OBDII readers, yadda yadda

oh and plays dvd's and has 16gig internal and swappable sd card storage for movies and music.

Reactions: Travis and UpperMI
I still haven't pulled the trigger here, having the classic fence post in my ]#^!

I guess my problem is the ones shown look like they are in newer models. Isn't this a TJ forum though? I mean mine is ten years old - the newest available and it's been babied w only 31K on it now.

Yet my radio looks like this:

image.jpeg

That is a factory 1.5DIN unit. I just did a double din for my TJ and it turned out amazing. The new surround was 150, radio was around 300. While I was in there, i went ahead and replaced all of my speakers with Kicker 5.25's and my sub with a cheap pyramid off of amazon.

2016-08-03 13.04.57.jpg

Reactions: Travis
That is a factory 1.5DIN unit. I just did a double din for my TJ and it turned out amazing. The new surround was 150, radio was around 300. While I was in there, i went ahead and replaced all of my speakers with Kicker 5.25's and my sub with a cheap pyramid off of amazon.
That looks quite nice as well.

The PO had my system installed by an auido shop here in Clinton called Sundown Audio. They are easily the best in car audio in this area, they do great work. They installed a Kenwood KDC-BT555U CD deck with Bluetooth capability, Pandora, iHeart, USB ports and hands free cell phone use. I really like the set-up, it's up to par. It sounds great and thats what everyone says they like most about my Jeep. I do think it needs updated tho. The Kenwood deck is way too hard to operate with all the small buttons, especially at night. As for the speakers they installed, there is an 8" Sundown Audio subwoofer in a nicely made wood box. It is behind the seat, in a special made compartment in the area behind the seat, which also has a flap that has hinges and locks so I can access it without opening the tailgate. It steals all of my storage area for anything, I hate that box being there. I also have Sundown Audio 6" speakers in the soundbar. There are also the Sundown Audio 4" speakers in the front, I haven't measured them they may be a tad smaller. That is all powered by a 600 watt Kenwood amplifier, which is located under the back seat on the drivers side. Don't get me wrong, I do love the way this system sounds. Its damn near perfect to my ear. But it needs re-done. Are ther any other possible place for the subwoofer? I took it out one day and it just wasn't the same. Is there any way i can keep this setup, but just relocate the componets?
20160809_084412.jpg
20160809_084519.jpg
20160809_084741.jpg
20160809_084300.jpg
20160809_084159.jpg

Last edited:
Since you have that trunk enclosure you could cut a hole for the speaker and mount it facing forward, basically turns your whole trunk into a sub-woofer box.

Since you have that trunk enclosure you could cut a hole for the speaker and mount it facing forward, basically turns your whole trunk into a sub-woofer box.
There's an idea. I don't think the subwoofer would fit in the enclosure facing forward tho. I'd have to put it in a different box.

So, the new (to me) jeep has a stock radio in it with a CD player, but no USB or audio inputs. I would like to upgrade to one that does - any suggestions for radios that would fit the default dashboard of the 06 Wrangler X?
Whats your budget? I was in the same shoes as you new to me TJ and had the stock radio and all I wanted was to listen to stuff on my iPhone or whatever...

For like $25 on Amazon I bout a cheap Boss Stereo that has (Radio + AUX + USB + SD Card) options...I bought the Single Din and Wiring Harness also for another $20. For under $50, I have a fairly sweet little setup here with multiple basic options. Now I can upgrade my speakers with some nice Kickers and be satisfied.

I have a link and photo if your interested and haven't already bought one.

I have a 2003 Jeep Wrangler with a stock deck and I want to get a new one but I don’t know which one to get

View attachment 5486

Android... which means all the apps you could want.

Netflix, Pandora, Google nav, plex, OBDII readers, yadda yadda

oh and plays dvd's and has 16gig internal and swappable sd card storage for movies and music.

I know this is an old thread but can anyone tell me the brand or where I may find this radio? I love how it looks factory.

Thanks, but now that I’ve seen the GUI that it has it’s a no go.... the interface looks crazy dated, like palm pilot days. Anyone have any good android or at least apple car play compatible headunits to suggest? Preferably cheap... I don’t care if it’s a no name one as long as its decently reliable.

Thanks, but now that I’ve seen the GUI that it has it’s a no go.... the interface looks crazy dated, like palm pilot days. Anyone have any good android or at least apple car play compatible headunits to suggest? Preferably cheap... I don’t care if it’s a no name one as long as its decently reliable.

Very little available in the 1.5 DIN, either go with the 2 Din conversion or a single DIN with the dash adapter.