Stock Suspension Height - Johnny Joints or OEM?

Thank you Jerry! I keep falling back on the....."But I'll get at least two or three more inches of tire clearance back from highline style fenders". Which is why I've been debating the possibility for it. But I've never done it....so what do I know?

I agree on the at least 3-4" of lift for proper offroad articulation with 33's. Does this advice really apply to stock style flares only? Or can I get away with less lift if using highline style fenders?

Perhaps I am thinking highline fenders were the answer to all the worlds problems....
Since I don't run them I'm obviously not one that feels highline fenders are the answer. Few of us here do.

High lines also only help in the front, so unless you’re planning on cutting the rear tub to match, they don’t do as much for you as a lift does.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Thank you Jerry! I keep falling back on the....."But I'll get at least two or three more inches of tire clearance back from highline style fenders". Which is why I've been debating the possibility for it. But I've never done it....so what do I know?

I agree on the at least 3-4" of lift for proper offroad articulation with 33's. Does this advice really apply to stock style flares only? Or can I get away with less lift if using highline style fenders?

Perhaps I am thinking highline fenders were the answer to all the worlds problems....
I have a 3" spring only lift with 33s. With my bumps set slightly conservatively and stock fenders, cycling the front suspension shows just under 8" from full droop to full bump. I'm told this is what a stock TJ can do (although mine wasn't stock at purchase so I don't know). But, I'm convinced the recommendation for at least 3" or maybe better 4" of lift for 33s is correct with stock fenders, at least.
1643400312985.png

1643400340330.png

1643400369909.png

3" SL plus a 1" to 1.25" body lift is the usual recommendation, I'd say you'd be good after installing a body lift.

With highlines, a larger tire can be fitted with less or no suspension lift. A body lift works in a similar way.

The reason many of us haven't done a highline is because it only accomplishes one thing, which is fitting a larger tire. The only way to increase the shock travel and also quickly raise the frame, while also fitting a larger tire is to do a suspension lift.

Highlines are typically something to do in combination with multiple other methods of fitting a larger tire, increasing shock travel and raising the frame. It all depends what the priorities are.

Reactions: ColoJeep
I come from the XJ world....so I may very well be full of shit when it comes to my intentions with the TJ. What is the general consensus for the "right way"?

I'm just having a hard time with the people saying...if 31's fit just fine with a BL, but 33x10.5's WONT fit with a BL and Highline style fenders. The 33's only add an inch of tire height over the 31's and the highline style fenders provide something like 2 inches of extra tire clearance.

I don't have any build experience with the TJ, which is why I'm here asking you guys.
The BL + HiLines will work for clearing 33’s.

It's between Genright and Metalcloak...though I'm second guessing Metalcloak after hearing some opinions here.