Stock TJ skid plate weight?

We all have our little quirks. Mine's a fixation on weight. Beats constantly fretting over global warming or something.

Haha, this is true! But just imagine the stress relief you'd find if you never had to worry about the weight again... or maybe you actually enjoy it?

Reactions: StG58
Haha, this is true! But just imagine the stress relief you'd find if you never had to worry about the weight again... or maybe you actually enjoy it?
An LS conversion?

"Does this skid plate make my ass look fat?"
"No, you just have a fat ass, dear."

Sometimes I crack myself up...

First world problems.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Chris
Realistically speaking, it's settled technology on the proper way to build a TJ. 33x12.50's, geared and locked Dana 44's, 3-4" of lift, yada yada. That's been known for 20 years. I'm just exploring a different path. So far, it's not really buying me anything. Fun though.

Reactions: Ephry73
Thanks! Going UCF aluminum saves about a pound and a half then. Sheesh. About the same as taking a healthy dump.
I didn't weight mine, but I replaced my stock steel skid with UCF's aluminum skid, and the weight difference is definitely more than a pound and a half.
I'm thinking something like closer to half the weight IMO - it was a significantly easier to handle.

IIRC the savvy setup (tcase skid, body lift, mml, C's, etc...) is 50 lbs. I think the tcase skid itself is only 13 lbs.

Maybe you could grind off all the ridges. Kill two birds with one stone - remove weight, and make it flatter at the same time. Just be full of holes, though.;)

Maybe you could grind off all the ridges. Kill two birds with one stone - remove weight, and make it flatter at the same time. Just be full of holes, though.;)
That's an idea , but I'm trying not to go the agricultural modification route. The guys at work in the sheet metal shop offered to burn something out on the laser and bend it up on the CNC press brake but I've resisted so far. Knowing them, I'd end up with all sorts of custom bits in exotic materials if I went down that rabbit hole. They, uh, like to build custom off road rigs. Or should I say over build.