Stock vs Aftermarket Dana 44 Inner Axles (with 30-spline Yukon Hub Kit, 5-760 u-joint)

MikeE024

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I planned to purchase R&G front axles to pair with a 30-spline Yukon free spin hub kit. Apparently, the Yukon kit utilizes the 5-760 spicer U-joint, but the R&G front axles do not use that u-joint. Can anyone (potentially @Jerry Bransford) confirm if this is true?

I have Yukon outer stub shafts (came with the hub kit), so my known options are to:
  • stick with stock inner Dana 44 shafts; or
  • go with aftermarket shafts that utilize the 5-760 spicer ujoint (e.g., Carbon Offroad). I believe @Mr. Bills installed C.O. shafts a few years back, but I'm not sure how he liked them.

Opinion request: Is it worth upgrading from stock inner shafts to the C.O. inner shafts? (my priority is mechanical strength & reliability)

Additional info:

- I'm going with 5.38 gears, Eaton Elockers, R&G rear axles w/ 5x5.5" bolt pattern, and the Yukon 30-spline hub kit w/ 5x5.5" bolt pattern.
- I need to make a decision on the front inner shafts asap so I can have the re-gear done before or after the holidays.

I planned to purchase R&G front axles to pair with a 30-spline Yukon free spin hub kit. Apparently, the Yukon kit utilizes the 5-760 spicer U-joint, but the R&G front axles do not use that u-joint. Can anyone (potentially @Jerry Bransford) confirm if this is true?

I have Yukon outer stub shafts (came with the hub kit), so my known options are to:
  • go with aftermarket shafts that utilize the 5-760 spicer ujoint (e.g., Carbon Offroad). I believe @Mr. Bills installed C.O. shafts a few years back, but I'm not sure how he liked them.

Opinion request: Is it worth upgrading from stock inner shafts to the C.O. inner shafts? (my priority is mechanical strength & reliability)

Additional info:

- I'm going with 5.38 gears, Eaton Elockers, R&G rear axles w/ 5x5.5" bolt pattern, and the Yukon 30-spline hub kit w/ 5x5.5" bolt pattern.
- I need to make a decision on the front inner shafts asap so I can have the re-gear done before or after the holidays.
RGA's use the larger 5-1350x u-joint. Yes it's definitely worth upgrading the inner and outer front axle shafts to an alloy.

Reactions: MikeE024
RGA's use the larger 5-1350x u-joint. Yes it's definitely worth upgrading the inner and outer front axle shafts to an alloy.

I believe you have had / currently have the Yukon 30-spline hub kit. Which front axle did you pair with the Yukon 30-spline kit?

Edit: If what you chose is no longer available, which front aftermarket axle would you choose today? (prioritizing mechanical strength & reliability)

Thanks for your input on this. 🙏

Last edited:
Not true or true until you specify. Revolution has import inners that work for the 5.5 hub kit with the same 760 joint. The larger u-joint axles will not work and there is not a stub that works.
Get the Revolution 30 spline import inners and you'll be fine.

Additional info:

If you don't upgrade the inners, that will be the failure, the yoke on the stock inner.

I believe you have had / currently have the Yukon 30-spline hub kit. Which front axle did you pair with the Yukon 30-spline kit?

Edit: If what you chose is no longer available, which front aftermarket axle would you choose today? (prioritizing mechanical strength & reliability)
I had Warn's 4340 27 spline shafts in my previous TJ's Dana 30 With Warn's small manual hub kit. My present Rubicon has Superior Axle Evolution shafts with Warn's large manual hub kit. Sorry but none of those are available any more. Though my present TJ's rear RGA 4340 shafts are still available.

For shafts I'd go for Revolution Gear and Yukon manual hubs.

Reactions: MikeE024
I had Warn's 4340 27 spline shafts in my previous TJ's Dana 30 With Warn's small manual hub kit. My present Rubicon has Superior Axle Evolution shafts with Warn's large manual hub kit. Sorry but none of those are available any more. Though my present TJ's rear RGA 4340 shafts are still available.

I wasn't around jeeping until long after Yukon stopped running Warn hubs (I've heard great things about your set-up). I hope the Yukon hubs hold up as well as your kit.

The rear R&G 4340 axles should arrive next week (been patiently waiting since summer).

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Not true or true until you specify. Revolution has import inners that work for the 5.5 hub kit with the same 760 joint. The larger u-joint axles will not work and there is not a stub that works
I instantly realized my mistake when reading this (myself and R&G failed to discuss the imported axle as an option). You are 100% correct. This is the answer.

Get the Revolution 30 spline import inners and you'll be fine.
Emailed R&G after hours today and will talk to them tomorrow. TY

If you don't upgrade the inners, that will be the failure, the yoke on the stock inner.

This is the info I was curious about. TY

I really wanted to go with R&G Discovery inner shafts (since I purchased R&G's rear shafts and gears), but they recently told me that their Discovery shafts supplier stopped responding so they are looking for a new supplier.

I ordered Yukon inner shafts to mate up to the Yukon hub kit. Assuming the correct parts arrive in good shape, I'll be officially ready to get the jeep regeared. I'm really excited!

Thanks for everyone's input along the way on this build.

Last edited: