Storage advice

ac_

zombicon
Supporting Member
I am starting to have a complete Jeeping rig. I am looking for something removable, but secured while it is in my Jeep topless. I am starting to have to bring things like a winch remote, air line with chucks, Tire plugs and shovels etc. Obviously more than that, but sometimes after a trail run we like to stop off for dinner, and leave a lot of stuff vulnerable in the back of the Jeep.

I am looking for something that locks or is bolted in the bed, but removable if I am not wheeling. I tend to keep the Jeep clean for everyday use, and I will go all winter topless, so I need to be able to secure gear in the back. I may be asking for too much.

I am looking for ideas even can be home made. Show me what you got?

Reactions: Chris
I am starting to have a complete Jeeping rig. I am looking for something removable, but secured while it is in my Jeep topless. I am starting to have to bring things like a winch remote, air line with chucks, Tire plugs and shovels etc. Obviously more than that, but sometimes after a trail run we like to stop off for dinner, and leave a lot of stuff vulnerable in the back of the Jeep.

I am looking for something that locks or is bolted in the bed, but removable if I am not wheeling. I tend to keep the Jeep clean for everyday use, and I will go all winter topless, so I need to be able to secure gear in the back. I may be asking for too much.

I am looking for ideas even can be home made. Show me what you got?

Check this out - I Have it bookmarked from where thread on the forum where someone posted a photo/review and it looked great.

https://customtoolboxes.com/index.php/product/jeep-utility-box/
This is a similar option in a smaller size -
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/anyone-carry-any-weird-gear-in-their-jeep.27075/post-444975

Reactions: Chris and ac_
I have the large Jeep utility box bolted down in the back of my Jeep. I even have room in it after putting all my tools in it for an ice chest. Also made a rack and bolted it to the top to strap down extra stuff you might want to take out on the trail.
I'm the same way, run my Jeep top less as long as I can. Like to stop for dinner somewhere after a day on the trail. It's great for locking up all your stuff in.
I'll take a picture of it this morning.

Reactions: ac_ and psrivats
This is what I use.
IMG_20191104_161723012.jpg
IMG_20191104_161745079.jpg
IMG_20191104_162059184.jpg

just go to any after market 4x4 supplier on line or? there are thousands of choices
some of your needs sound like just a lockable console.
there are lockable under seat units too.
google hand gun storage.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I feel where you’re coming from on this, I had the same concerns about security as well as utility, most of my gear is in the Jeep all the time. I found that a drawer setup worked best for me it’s lockable by itself as well as when you lock the tailgate. I can load on top of it and still access everything in it. It’s bolted in and I have no plans to remove it but it can be made to be removable. The space behind the seats and along the sides can be very useful storage areas too. One of the Dewalt bags has a recip saw, grinder, drill, 1/2” impact, impact driver, 4 batteries, a charger, and spare wheels and blades. There’s still room for my stove, propane bottles, utensils, and a disposable bbq. Along the side I have a shovel, 5/8” rope, first aid kits, a spill kit, a machete, and 4 gallons of water.
E497DA77-B799-4A1F-AF9A-8DF82785C3DA.jpeg

C26527A3-9334-415C-ACAF-2C5CC036740C.jpeg
AC687218-FDA2-468A-81BB-7942AC68C057.jpeg
1EFFAC52-D0BF-4BDC-BD40-59BB0DDD5EEC.jpeg
437D3A9F-109A-4CDC-90E2-819870966694.jpeg
E8184473-80AC-457D-B45B-71FB53C240BF.jpeg
300BFD73-2C9E-4D74-ACD1-2C143538459A.jpeg
ECB77DD2-305B-402B-9F1E-4ED1986CB953.jpeg
54A46933-AA3F-47B3-94FD-285257265427.jpeg
3B397BDB-EBEE-4ED4-B767-7FA197B1F5BF.jpeg
C92E9C5C-A5DE-4ECE-AF0C-D91390339D7C.jpeg

I feel where you’re coming from on this, I had the same concerns about security as well as utility, most of my gear is in the Jeep all the time. I found that a drawer setup worked best for me it’s lockable by itself as well as when you lock the tailgate. I can load on top of it and still access everything in it. It’s bolted in and I have no plans to remove it but it can be made to be removable. The space behind the seats and along the sides can be very useful storage areas too. One of the Dewalt bags has a recip saw, grinder, drill, 1/2” impact, impact driver, 4 batteries, a charger, and spare wheels and blades. There’s still room for my stove, propane bottles, utensils, and a disposable bbq. Along the side I have a shovel, 5/8” rope, first aid kits, a spill kit, a machete, and 4 gallons of water.
View attachment 123573

View attachment 123562View attachment 123563View attachment 123564View attachment 123565View attachment 123566View attachment 123567View attachment 123568View attachment 123569View attachment 123570View attachment 123571
I like that alot did you make that? And how is pouring gass out of that huge container in the rear?

I like that alot did you make that? And how is pouring gass out of that huge container in the rear?
It’s a Smittybuilt storage drawer that I carpeted and the gas can actually isn’t that hard to handle but I do have two RotopaX 2gal cans that fit the same place

Reactions: ac_
It’s a Smittybuilt storage drawer that I carpeted and the gas can actually isn’t that hard to handle but I do have two RotopaX 2gal cans that fit the same place
Have you had any issues with the RotopaX? I have been interested in them, but they are really expensive. I mean, I don't mind if they are worth it, but I don't know anybody local that uses them.

View attachment 123573

View attachment 123562View attachment 123563View attachment 123564View attachment 123565View attachment 123566View attachment 123567View attachment 123568View attachment 123569View attachment 123570View attachment 123571
Well sorted and thought out!

Have you had any issues with the RotopaX? I have been interested in them, but they are really expensive. I mean, I don't mind if they are worth it, but I don't know anybody local that uses them.
I haven’t had any issues with the RotopaX, the Kolpin 4gal that you see here doesn’t seal very well with just the cap, it has to have the spout inverted inside to get a seal. I tried it with just the cap because I hate that the spout comes out full of gas also the thread pitch is so coarse the cap always looks a little cocked. The RotoPaX water cans don’t leak and are better quality. They make two different cans one is blow molded like the Kolpin called Fuelpax, and the other is Rotationally molded. They are all expensive, I won’t buy another Kolpin and since the Fuelpax and the RotopaX are the same price with the Rotopax having a much better warranty I probably won’t buy a Fuelpax. For some reason the Fuelpax have discounts where the RotopaX don’t.

Reactions: lowranger
I haven’t had any issues with the RotopaX, the Kolpin 4gal that you see here doesn’t seal very well with just the cap, it has to have the spout inverted inside to get a seal. I tried it with just the cap because I hate that the spout comes out full of gas also the thread pitch is so coarse the cap always looks a little cocked. The RotoPaX water cans don’t leak and are better quality. They make two different cans one is blow molded like the Kolpin called Fuelpax, and the other is Rotationally molded. They are all expensive, I won’t buy another Kolpin and since the Fuelpax and the RotopaX are the same price with the Rotopax having a much better warranty I probably won’t buy a Fuelpax. For some reason the Fuelpax have discounts where the RotopaX don’t.
Great info....thanks!

If you're looking for something a bit more low profile, to keep as an everyday jeeping load-out without sacrificing passenger space I use Rightline Roll Bar Bags. They attach easily to your cage and are perfect for things like a Yorktown Tool Roll, jumper cables, and just about anything you want to keep in your jeep at all times. Probably would work well along side a dedicated tool box setup as a easy removable storage solution.
318279_3FADD480.jpg

Reactions: DrDmoney