Storing doors while driving?

Cole

TJ Enthusiast
Anyone figured out an easy way to store the doors (with mirrors) while driving. I like them off. The lady likes them on. If we take long trips I at least can take them off for a while. But after the darkness sets in she wants the doors and 1/2 windows on. Lame.

Anyway, I've found some tetris like ways to get them in, but if anyone has come across an ingenious way to store them please do share... I'm getting the Jeep itch. She's been in storage all winter. : ( : (

IMG_0968.jpg

Reactions: KCNoDots
Never tried, personally, but I imagine it's not too bad if you take out the back seat. You'll probably just need some spare blankets and bungie cords to keep them from getting scratched.

I used to. Full steel doors, if you have the back seat in, fold it up and lay them against the seat then use a bungee or a rope and tie it off to the sound bar.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Remove wife...…..

But seriously it would be easier to accomplish if you relocated the mirrors. I believe they sell a set that attaches to the windshield hinges. That would free up space.

I have been able to stuff the soft uppers between the rear seat and gate with the soft top down, and seat in a normal position.

With the rear folded up im sure you can find the space without the mirrors.

My wife and I have this argument all the time, haha. She hates the doors being off, while I refuse to drive it if the doors are on.

I always end up winning this one ;)

Interested in folks responses as well.

I just acquired half doors and uppers with glass sliders. My plan is to just take the uppers off when I reach a trailhead. My rear seat is removed for offroad trips, replaced with a 3/4" plywood cover that goes all the way up to the rear of the front seats. I plan to cut maybe 6" off of it and create a "slot" to slide the uppers into.

Reactions: Cole
haha! ohhh.. some of these response spot on : )

1 - Getting rid of the lady is out of the question. I out kicked my coverage and she likes beer, football and jeeps. :p
2 - One door off and one door on is the ultimate compromise. hahahaha!! Oh could you imagine the looks... Although I think the guys would understand. : P

I think I'll probably try putting the back seat down and bungee cord them with a blanket or two in between. But I'm for sure going to check into the mirrors that attach to the windshield hinges. That would really free up space!!

haha! ohhh.. some of these response spot on : )
:p
2 - One door off and one door on is the ultimate compromise. hahahaha!! Oh could you imagine the looks... Although I think the guys would understand. : P

Now I can relate to that in a way. I drive a Mazda Miata during the warmer months. ( that will probably be less now that I have a convertible Jeep, LOL) On some occasions I will drive with one of the door windows up and one down. LOL Believe it or not, it makes a difference on how the wind comes into the car. :D I do feel that people are looking at me strange when I do it though. LOL

Reactions: Cole
I've never really figured out what to do with my doors other than leave them in the garage because of the mirrors. I seen things like what Boinked gave us a link to but I've also seen some complaints that those (and the ones for the 03-06 mirrors) get in the way of opening the doors all the way and also block the view of mirror on the right with doors on. Ahh.. the good old days when the right mirror was seen through the windshield and we had leaf springs.

I will say this weekends weather is calling for 10 to 16 inches of snow and I told my wife if we do get it I'm pulling the roof and doors off and getting out on the roads before the plows get there. So far the wife refused to participate.:(

I also wanted to travel doorless but still have the doors with me. So I built a tear drop trailer with the same hanging hinges in the front compartment.

IMG_1290.jpg

Now I can relate to that in a way. I drive a Mazda Miata during the warmer months. ( that will probably be less now that I have a convertible Jeep, LOL) On some occasions I will drive with one of the door windows up and one down. LOL Believe it or not, it makes a difference on how the wind comes into the car. :D I do feel that people are looking at me strange when I do it though. LOL
you will drive it less...my poor corvette was driven less than 150 miles last year and my TR6 might have left the driveway once since I got the TJ.

you will drive it less...my poor corvette was driven less than 150 miles last year and my TR6 might have left the driveway once since I got the TJ.

Yah, I already see that in my 'used to be" daily driver, VW bus. I have driven maybe 3 times since I got my first Jeep a couple months ago, now with the TJ, I only drove the bus 1 time, and that was to go get something from the parts store for the TJ. LOL

Reactions: JMT