Storing doors while driving?

I was considering this until someone on another forum brought up a very good point: if you get into an accident, those doors could potentially become projectiles. There's nothing in the tub of a Jeep that can be used to appropriately tie down heavy metal doors enough to prevent them from coming loose during an accident.

(Inevitably, this comment will get a number of different responses, from "I do it all the time" to the head-scratching "you won't get into an accident if you drive carefully.")

I'd rather not fool around with the unpredictable. It's much safer to carry soft doors instead.

Reactions: Cole
2 - One door off and one door on is the ultimate compromise. hahahaha!! Oh could you imagine the looks... Although I think the guys would understand. : P
You could always say I couldn't afford the whole jeep so I'm buying it a bit at a time.....(its what I say when I get comments on why Im driving with the doors and roof off.)

The ol "whining noise from the passenger seat problem ..."

We are working on it man .

One theory is order enough parts and maybe she will run off with the ups driver.

Reactions: Jack72 and Cole
I misread the question, heres my solution..
You can get electric versions too

11849278_f1024.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rasband and Kiwi TJ
I just ran 2-piece soft doors for this reason, but I had full doors. No way I would want full or half doors in the back.

I also didn't like running no doors though. Even now I wheel with my soft half doors on only all the time. Blowing wind sucks. :)

Would looping the rear seat belts thru the door frames, then latching the seat belt while they are stored in the back secure the doors in the event of a wreck?

I think you’re stuck on this one till she changes her mind. My wife said absolutely no to driving with no doors. Then two months later she said absolutely yes. It’s a priceless experience.

Fortunately, taking the doors off and putting back on is not that difficult. Plus you get an arm workout.

I only go so far as storing my half door soft uppers in the back while driving. Bestop sells a zippered storage bag for a pair of uppers. It's not heavy with the uppers in it but I still secure it to the sports bar just be sure it won't fly around in the event of an accident. I also have a MOPAR storage bag. It's quite substantial and stores both half door uppers, the soft top side windows and the rear window. It has fabric sheets that are sewn in to separate each item. I've taken my half doors off and either left them at home or at a camp site but I wouldn't want to drive around with them in the cargo area.

My wife doesn't like driving with "her" upper door off. She's OK with "mine" being off though and that's fine with me!

Would looping the rear seat belts thru the door frames, then latching the seat belt while they are stored in the back secure the doors in the event of a wreck?

No. There’s still way too much room for the doors to flop around.

There is no safe way to strap down the doors in the back. If a way existed, it would already be known and threads like this likely wouldn’t exist.

haha! ohhh.. some of these response spot on : )

1 - Getting rid of the lady is out of the question. I out kicked my coverage and she likes beer, football and jeeps. :p
2 - One door off and one door on is the ultimate compromise. hahahaha!! Oh could you imagine the looks... Although I think the guys would understand. : P

I think I'll probably try putting the back seat down and bungee cord them with a blanket or two in between. But I'm for sure going to check into the mirrors that attach to the windshield hinges. That would really free up space!!
Well, it could be worse. That compromise would be a lot tougher if one of you liked the top down and the other didn't.

Reactions: Cole and Jack72
Damn, ya'll have some great comments on here! Ha! I think I'll just have to take 'em off and let her enjoy the breeze and fun that is doorless! I like the mirror options too, I may check that out...... But of course now I've ventured down the path of Sunrider soft tops and I'm already seeing money go out the door before it's out of storage.

Thankfully, top down is the only way we ride the jeep in the summer... on a rare occasion we'll hook up the soft top and leave it down in case we run into rain on an overnight trip... But rarely.

I also take the soft uppers off the doors unless it's a really windy day and then the windscreen and uppers stay on until we get into the valley.

I have a sort of solution for you. I have half doors with hard uppers with sliding windows. I fabricated a carrier for the uppers out of 1-1/4" PVC and put pipe insulation around it to protect the windows. I would relocate your mirrors like previously stated. I rarely take the half doors off. You could do something similar with the lowers also. The only thing is you have to remove the back seat to make room for everything. I secure it in the back of the Jeep with the seat belts. Sorry I don't have a picture of that.

IMG_0180.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

IMG_0182.JPG