Stripped post on winch

Hopper

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
My negative post on my winch is stripped. I can't tighten down the negative wire to the winch. Any solutions out there? Maybe solder the negative wire to the post?

Most have three power leads and a fourth grounding bolt that is directly attached to the housing. Are you sure it's the ground? If it's a post shops that rebuild starters might have a new post, you could also use a smaller nut. Don't solder, it is likely to melt with the current a winch draws. There are also starter rebuild places online that sell tons of universal parts. Vendors sell stuff on ebay too. Those motors are pretty simple and they are all almost identical in basic construction. Pictures help.

Reactions: Hopper
I’d check to see if the post is a serviceable item, it may well be. Even if not directly, there may be a path there.

In the case it’s not - a non-ideal option, but workable one since the main contacts are on either side of the nut/housing, you could probably thread it for the next size down.

Reactions: Hopper
I had a similar issue with a SmittyBilt XRC8 that came on the LJ I purchased in June. I took the motor apart completely to fix it. It was a modified brass bolt. The head had a slot milled across it, and the stator bar went through the slot and the bolt head was swaged onto it. I bought a brass bolt from McMaster-Carr, cut a slot in it with a hacksaw and finished it with a file, then swaged it on with my shop press, but a good hit with a hammer would probably have worked. I then blasted all the winch parts, repainted them, and put it back together with some good grease and new decals. It now looks and works like new!