Stripped transfer case drain plug

basic

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Well, it happened. Stripped the drain plug on the transfer case. Fill plug came out fine. After heat, PB blaster, tapping - thought it was coming out..but stripped instead.

Any tips/tricks? First instinct is order an ez-out that will fit nicely in the nice round hole that's there now. If that doesn't work...weld a socket to it?

Really need to remove it to drain fluid as I got some water in the transfer case fluid. I know...I know....

Trying to weld something to it would be my choice, but that’s gonna be tough in the Jeep.

I wouldn’t use a socket, I’d use a stubby extension so I could get a breaker bar or impact gun on it.

And the stubby extension will give you 4 spots on the plug to get some good tacks.

I just went through this. Eventually hammered a T-55 or T-60 torx in there; I forget which. You might have to shave the metal a bit.

Reactions: pagrey
Get it red hot then let it cool and spray it with some pb blaster. Then hammer a larger torx bit into it. Repeat til it works.

I held a 1/2 bolt in the stripped hole and welded it in place. The heat from welding loosened it right up and came out easily

Edit: found the pics

C73BF010-9108-4BD2-AF59-37776455CE8C.jpeg

C03A8C9F-AE48-4AAF-BC05-1D75F8E457E4.jpeg

6ACFE528-37EF-475A-9FC1-469058E60529.jpeg

Well, update here. Tried torx first. The t55 is about the same size as the stripped m10 hex, so it wasn't quite big enough. T60 was slightly too big, and I wasn't able to get it deep enough to bite well and just stripped it more.
Ended up welding a cheap 3" long 3/8" extension into the hole and was able to get it out. Thanks for the help all!

Reactions: bromel and pagrey