Stroker options: plain remanufactured or low mile junk yard?

DailyDrivenTJ

Supporting Member
I picked up a new to me XJ but I want to pull out the old motor and not have to worry about it next how long.

180K miles on it but the previous owner said "he" rebuilt it. I take that as grain of salt and not gonna put my family through some uncertainty when overlanding hundreds of miles from home. He even suggested he won't drive far.

So I have been researching and it seems like I am to choose amongst junk yard low mileage, ATK, or Golen.

Tried calling Golen 3 times past Friday, but couldn't get a hold of a person. 2 emails over 3 weeks have not received any response.

I was dead set on Golen until I tried to reach him over the phone and I suppose presale inquiries may not reflect post sales experience but it sure is not helping.

What have yall done to replace the tired straight 6?

My Buddy a retired mechanic just went with Golen. He is pretty meticulous about his XJ and after alot of investigating he said Golen was the only company he felt certain with after talking to them on the phone. I would keep reaching out to them probably a valid reason he you haven't connected. Here is a picture of the motor in his garage before installing..
Screenshot_20210901-215432_Messages.jpg

I was in a similar situation. Bought a 99 Classic XJ with a blown engine. Managed to find a junk yard engine with 50k miles. Had them put it on a tire and I brought it home. Got it on a stand and within a month I had it in the XJ.

I was in a similar situation. Bought a 99 Classic XJ with a blown engine. Managed to find a junk yard engine with 50k miles. Had them put it on a tire and I brought it home. Got it on a stand and within a month I had it in the XJ.
That is awesome. 00-01 has slightly different block for accessories makes finding replacement difficult.

Mini stroker. It uses all off the shelf parts:
AMC 232 crank
4.0 rods
677cp pistons
Depending on how much cyl overbore you go with it nets a 4.1L - 4.2L but with higher compression.

Reactions: DailyDrivenTJ
Mini stroker. It uses all off the shelf parts:
AMC 232 crank
4.0 rods
677cp pistons
Depending on how much cyl overbore you go with it nets a 4.1L - 4.2L but with higher compressio..

Trying to minimize work on my end and increase reliability at the same time. LOL

Less people involved getting stuff done and less of me running around, I realize things tend to get done quicker.

Placed an order today. Price is now 7200 not including shipping.

He says he sold 140 plus stroker engines this year. Mine is to be built in Jan 2022. LOL.

He told me they dyno engine for 4 hours before getting shipped out.

Last edited:
That's quite the chunk of change, but should be ready to go when you get it. Mine certainly was alot of headaches to get right. What displacement is it?

I'm probably close to 5k in my mini stroker, but that includes an aluminum head, roller rockers, double roller, blah blah.

That's quite the chunk of change, but should be ready to go when you get it. Mine certainly was alot of headaches to get right. What displacement is it?

I'm probably close to 5k in my mini stroker, but that includes an aluminum head, roller rockers, double roller, blah blah.
4.6 with 270hp and 320lb.ft IIRC.

It comes with valve cover down to oil pan and everything in between dynoed and re torqued.

It is a big chunk of change but well it is for a toy I like to keep around for awhile and be safe and reliable.