Struggles getting TJ parts in Alaska

Jake kozlowski

TJ Enthusiast
Elmendorf Air Force Base, Anchorage, AK, USA
Currently active duty up in Alaska and purchasing parts is somewhat of a pain. Also, the JK has somewhat taken over the market so there isn't much market for TJ parts...

Does anybody know of a company that will ship gears, axle shafts. and other parts to AK? Amazon wont ship them, Quadratec wants $92 shipping for axle shafts, RC wants $82 for shipping axle shafts, Extremeterrain $106... None of those companies will ship gears either.

Not sure if there are any members up here in AK, or vendors that have dealt with this situation. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Try four wheel parts wholesalers as well.

See if they can ship USPS. If it's being shipped to an APO address, I think there is a big discount from USPS.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

Reactions: Jake kozlowski
Thank you!!

Sadly, Alaska isn't considered an APO.

See if you can have the parts shipped to your base. At my previous job I used to have to ship lots of packages to AK, USPS is definitely gonna be the way. A lot of military folks I worked with would have the parts shipped to their base as it was vastly cheaper.

@Ted, where are you when we need you?

Ted lived in Alaska for a while and has plenty of experience with this. Hopefully he'll chime in soon! I think he's glad he got out of Alaska because he was getting ripped off by everyone for shipping!

See if you can have the parts shipped to your base. At my previous job I used to have to ship lots of packages to AK, USPS is definitely gonna be the way. A lot of military folks I worked with would have the parts shipped to their base as it was vastly cheaper.
I'll have to look into that, maybe see if it can be freighted.

Thanks!

Airforce. I work right down the road from the guard. 732AMS.
You might be in luck. If you can friend a couple of crew chiefs. The guard is much more relaxed about flying things on their planes. And they go on trips a lot.

It still is a long shot.

I know the 135s at my base are always going on cargo runs and dragging fighters all over the US.

Unfortunately im just a part time sheetmetal guy who doesn't get to go on many trips. Nobody wants sheetmetal.

That sucks man. When I was up there at JBER I didn’t have any issues with getting Amazon to ship stuff, but that was 5 years ago.
Help me convince my wife to move back and I will bring you all the parts you want on my way back up.
I really miss AK.

When I was active duty Navy and on a ship, I used to order parts and have them sent to the ship via the FPO address. Mostly just engine parts and that kind of thing. No axles, transmissions, etc.

@Ted, where are you when we need you?

Ted lived in Alaska for a while and has plenty of experience with this. Hopefully he'll chime in soon! I think he's glad he got out of Alaska because he was getting ripped off by everyone for shipping!

I paid out the ass for a lift and my Metal Cloak Armor. The bad thing is I didn't get half of the lift i ordered. Lost parts wrong springs and the man wouldn't make it right.

Locally TRail Toyz in Wasilla and Steadfast Offroad in Chugiak.. Buy from Steadfast when you can.

Contact Rick with Quadratec on the Wrangler forum. 10% discount and he sent as much as possible through the Post Office.

Morris 4x4 will stick it to you on shipping

One week Amazon wouldn't ship and 2 weeks later they would. You have to keep checking by running it through your cart. bought 4 sets of tires and only had problems with the coopers. They wouldn't ship and tried again a few weeks later and they would. Then they sent me a extra tire. Tried to do the right thing but they said keep it as it cost more to pick it up than it did to take a loss on it