Stubbed my front bumper

tykesplace

TJ Enthusiast
I removed the jugs a while ago but hadn’t got around to trimming the bumper until today.

I started by masking the area. I poked out the holes so I’d know where they were relative to my cut line.

74CD146B-69D1-4CD1-9E43-D5E6F3BB6A20.jpeg

Then I used electrical tape to rough out a few options until I found one I liked. This wasn’t the best material to use. It’s difficult to keep it straight.

45 wasn’t quite right.
A3F7ED71-0088-4B33-A348-AB6A049340CA.jpeg

About 55 looked better.
91CE099D-548A-4C8E-AAC6-27B8692B28EC.jpeg

Then I made some adjustments so that I had measurements I could replicate on the other side. Then I cut the masking tape to give me pattern for chopping the bumper.
EF60CB97-D8AE-40FB-A9C0-D58A7BA07DCF.jpeg

Then I took my time with a 4” cutoff wheel.
707A5292-D490-40F2-BDDA-65DFB230AD2E.jpeg

Removed the tape, cleaned up the edges with a flap disk, and painted the bare metal.
97D03660-BB2B-4597-B5E0-274B61BEE4AA.jpeg

The finicky part was keeping a clean line around the curve on the bottom so that both sides matched.

I’ll weld on some metal to box the ends eventually.

I think this took me about an hour. I like the look a lot better.
87EE1902-4023-410D-B3C3-A91232DB7D4F.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice cuts, looks like a good angle.

Eventually I'l get around to chopping my front bumper. Trim 6" off each end, notch a 45 deg out of the rear edge near the frame, then fold the front face of it towards the back and weld so the front corners have a swept back look.

Nice cuts, looks like a good angle.

Eventually I'l get around to chopping my front bumper. Trim 6" off each end, notch a 45 deg out of the rear edge near the frame, then fold the front face of it towards the back and weld so the front corners have a swept back look.

Post pics when you do. I considering doing something like that, but it would be too much fab work for me since I intend on replacing with an aftermarket bumper at some point.

You've inspired me, been wanting to do this for a while but could never settle on a style(?). Thanks for taking the plunge.

Post pics when you do. I considering doing something like that, but it would be too much fab work for me since I intend on replacing with an aftermarket bumper at some point.
I'm still debating if it'll get a currie antirock, which mounts through the frame tube instead of mounting on top like the factory sway bar. If so the bumper mod would need to clear the AR arms and probably be renforced as well to act as a rock guard for the AR. Wish I knew what paint they used on the factory bumpers cause it's tough and rarely see them rust.