Stubby front bumper recommendation?

Westtown Willy

TJ dummy
Supporting Member
The time feels right to buy something I don’t need for the TJ, but want. The one thing on my rig that I think is too blingy, too big, & just too much may be on its way out - I liked it at first and it functions perfectly well but more & more when I look at it I think it’s tacky. Always loved the simplicity of stubby front bumpers, would like to get one on there but before I do is there anything anyone can identify as problematic with them? For the most part they look the same to me so I don’t have any particular brand in mind but any information on why one would be better than another would be appreciated also. Finally, any issues/interference with the anti-rock?

Photo of the offending unit

TJ.JPG

Edit: also, a stock front bumper may work too, I like my stock rear bumper. Are they too flimsy though for a winch?

If I remember correctly you still need to buy the winch plate.

Looks Correct. Savvy www site says fairlead mount and winch deck as separate item. Only $59 add on.

But i don't have one of these bumpers so i don't know.

Either way, it's a nice bumper.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Starrs and L J
Savvy FTW. Best looking bumper out there for the TJ, and since Blaine designed it, I can't imagine he would have designed it poorly. It's setup for a winch, and works with the Antirock perfectly as well.

I like my warn stubby. It’s a nice bumper but it is very heavy. Going to replace it with Savvy in the future simply because I really like the way the Savvy looks. Otherwise, the warn does the job of a bumper and has taken some good hits over the years without much damage.

I like my warn stubby. It’s a nice bumper but it is very heavy. Going to replace it with Savvy in the future simply because I really like the way the Savvy looks. Otherwise, the warn does the job of a bumper and has taken some good hits over the years without much damage.

View attachment 102898
That warn stubby bumper was my other choice. Looks great. In the end price was deciding factor when I bought mine last week.

That coupled with the fact I would have to buy the warn winch mount to go with it.

Savvy is a great choice. There are other options that you may like. I recently came across this interesting Next Venture one that "hides" the winch.

https://www.nextventuremotorsports.com/product/tjwinchbumper/
View attachment 102895

View attachment 102894

Can I retain the front OEM Sway Bar? No; while it will physically bolt through this bumper, it will *not* clear the winch. We recommend running only a rear sway bar for a trail rig anyhow; if any at all – but not an OEM front sway bar.
Can I use a Currie Anti-Rock or similar style front sway bar that mounts through the front crossmember? Not currently *as-is*; but we are working on a set of relocation brackets and replacement arms to allow for this style of sway bar to be used.

Reactions: psrivats and jjvw
Reactions: psrivats
That is fully retarded unless they happen to have an alternate front sway bar solution you didn't include.

I did not do my due diligence and only just saw their comments on the front swaybar situation (that @toximus) posted above.

This is not a good choice for a front bumper as-is. I apologize for including it in this thread.

Reactions: TJ Starting
the Savvy looks nice, just built one on their site & it looks like it only comes with an option to add recovery hooks rather than rings and the fairlead mount is also an add-on. Total $418. Seems somewhere in the middle of the pricing for these things, though I'm not sure I like the hooks as opposed to rings

https://savvyoffroad.com/product/sav-tjf/
also popped onto the UCF site, never heard anyone talk about their bumpers but I know they make good stuff, anyone have one of these? With ring mounts and winch plate it comes out to $350, though it's hard to see what it looks like from the site.

http://www.undercoverfab.com/bumpers/469-steel-frame-width-front-bumper-for-jeep-wrangler-tj.html

Hooks vs tabs is interesting. I might lean towards hooks.