Stubby front bumper recommendation?

Very nice! Looks like you definitely need a Safety Thimble.

It seems to be the case indeed. The one I'm looking for is the Safety Thimble II correct? I drove the TJ down the street to take the pictures but jammed a rag in there so it didn't scratch anything, I guess I'm beached until this thing arrives.

Edit: 4LowParts - $75 for 3-day shipping or $25 ground :oops:

Am I that out of touch or does that seem extreme?

Re-Edit: ordered it direct from TRE, same price & shipping was $9, makes a lot more sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Starting
Installed 😁:

I've run into one issue, the d-ring tab is so close to the fairlead there doesn't seem to be a way of avoiding scratches on the fairlead, is there any way to remedy this using what I have here or am I destined for a safety thimble?

View attachment 106236

No...
Here's what I did. Two roller derby roller skate wheels, minus the bearings and a grade 8 bolt.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

having turned my attention to solving the latest problem born of solving the last problem I've watched a few of the splicing videos & from what I've seen they all begin with the rope already free from any connection. Will I be able to un-splice my existing line preserving its full length or am I cutting this thing off at a certain point & starting from there? Also, does the fid come with the thimble, it didn't say on the website? I'm sure these answers are floating around here already somewhere but I've really got to get some actual work done :sneaky:

Reactions: JMT
having turned my attention to solving the latest problem born of solving the last problem I've watched a few of the splicing videos & from what I've seen they all begin with the rope already free from any connection. Will I be able to un-splice my existing line preserving its full length or am I cutting this thing off at a certain point & starting from there? Also, does the fid come with the thimble, it didn't say on the website? I'm sure these answers are floating around here already somewhere but I've really got to get some actual work done :sneaky:

My safety thimble came with a fid.

Funny how this thread came up... I've got the same big bumper you did, and been thinking about changing it up!

My safety thimble came with a fid.

Funny how this thread came up... I've got the same big bumper you did, and been thinking about changing it up!
I just hit same big bumper on rock.

Edit: 4LowParts - $75 for 3-day shipping or $25 ground :oops:

Am I that out of touch or does that seem extreme?

Re-Edit: ordered it direct from TRE, same price & shipping was $9, makes a lot more sense.

ok I ordered the thimble on Thursday & it's showing up today so Imma answer my own question & toss out a general FYI for anyone ordering one of these, TRE & 4Lowparts both charge $74.95 for the thimble BUT 4low wanted $73.51 to deliver it in 3 days while TRE will deliver it quicker for a fraction of the price, 2 days, $9.30:

Post Office.PNG
Post Office 2.JPG
Post Office 3.JPG

Reactions: TJ Starting
Here's mine.
20190729_220359.jpg

I'll change a few things in the future, but this is already a huge improvement over what I had. More pics and discussion in my build thread.

Reactions: JMT and TJ Starting
nice, is that also a new fairlead on there? And I agree, the improvement has been dramatic, feels like a whole new Jeep to me. I can't believe I've waiting so long to do this