Stubby front bumper recommendation?

... though I'm not sure I like the hooks as opposed to rings

UCF also uses hooks for their aluminum bumpers (d ring mounts aren't even offered as an option):

I personally don't care for how shallow it is. I like my Savvy that goes back to the grill and uses four bolts per side.

Last edited:
found one I like the look of best but never heard of this company (Motobilt), anyone know anything about their stuff? Bumper looks nice & is the size I'm looking for, description sounds much like most of what I'm reading from the other manufacturers. Comes bare so after buying it with the add-on winch mount, shipping then powder coating it'll probably come in close to the same $400 range

https://www.motobilt.com/product/jeep_yjtj_stubby_front_bumper_bare_steel\
Motobilt.jpg

Reactions: Mr. Bills
I’ll buy your Warn when you get rid of it.

found one I like the look of best but never heard of this company (Motobilt), anyone know anything about their stuff? Bumper looks nice & is the size I'm looking for, description sounds much like most of what I'm reading from the other manufacturers. Comes bare so after buying it with the add-on winch mount, shipping then powder coating it'll probably come in close to the same $400 range

View attachment 102942
Motobilt is a solid fab company. Some of us have entertained their pieces a number of times, more than when you started getting active on the forum. I’m sure you looked through a lot of what they offer. They make solid stuff and some creative problem solving stuff. I wouldn’t hesitate at all.

Reactions: MikeE024
I've got a Poison Spyder BFH Mid-width. It covers the AR just enough to not interfere with its movement.

That is fully retarded unless they happen to have an alternate front sway bar solution you didn't include.

Nah. Even better:

We recommend running only a rear sway bar for a trail rig anyhow; if any at all – but not an OEM front sway bar.

View attachment 102942
Dan is a solid guy with solid products. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him.

Reactions: Jorge Bolivar
KDFabworks.com sells front bumpers with 43" (stubby) and 49" widths.

http://www.kdfabworks.com/97-06-Wrangler-TJ_c_77.html
I have no personal experience with his products but members of this forum have given positive reviews.

I am that guy and definitely recommend Kurt/KD Fabworks, good dude and great product. Look out for 10% or 15% off sales, on his website or facebook page, and then it is a great price.

When pricing out these bumpers, look for Fairlead Mounts, Light Tabs, Tow hooks or Rings, raw metal or powdercoated and also shipping costs. That is the only way to do a true apples to apples comparison.

Hooks vs tabs is interesting. I might lean towards hooks.

WIth KD Fabworks you can have the option of both hooks and rings, or just rings. Keeping your stock hooks are optional, and at the Jeep owner's discretion.

thanks for the great responses everyone, particularly the input on the Motobilt; as much time as I've spent on this & other forums & surfing the internet in general stalking different parts I can't believe I haven't heard of them before, but it's good to know they've got a solid reputation as I'm leaning towards that one. I really like the Warn too, nice clean look to it & the Savvy is damn nice as well. One other one I considered was the Metalcloak, I liked the overall design of it but the damn thing is covered in rivets or something that make it too, I don't know, Storm Troopery or something. If they got rid of that stupid shit it would be high on the list although it's also the most expensive one I looked at @$500+.

I'll pull the trigger on something at open of business tomorrow & pop back with some photos after the install, thanks again!

That motobilt one is nice. Awfully reasonable too, just shy of $300 with the fairlead mount :unsure:

The motobilt bumper looks good. UCF has a bumper that looks like that as well. I have the MC bumper without end caps.

The time feels right to buy something I don’t need for the TJ, but want. The one thing on my rig that I think is too blingy, too big, & just too much may be on its way out - I liked it at first and it functions perfectly well but more & more when I look at it I think it’s tacky. Always loved the simplicity of stubby front bumpers, would like to get one on there but before I do is there anything anyone can identify as problematic with them? For the most part they look the same to me so I don’t have any particular brand in mind but any information on why one would be better than another would be appreciated also. Finally, any issues/interference with the anti-rock?

Photo of the offending unit

View attachment 102879

Edit: also, a stock front bumper may work too, I like my stock rear bumper. Are they too flimsy though for a winch?
Stubby bumper should look good there. I always thought the bumpers like the one you have now just look too much like a mustache to really appreciate them, haha. Stubby bumpers definitely give a good, clean, simple look and will reduce your weight at the same time.