Stuck Fill T-Case Plug

Mike_H

autos are better - WRWD508
Supporting Member
Last weekend, I tried to change the fluid on my T-Case (NV-241). I started by trying the fill plug and proceeded to strip the stupid soft metal they used on those bolts. As is often the case, the steel and aluminum have gone through galvanic corrosion. I assume they are locked right together. Thought about grabbing a 10mm hex wrench to weld into the socket on the drain plug. Nervous about putting that much heat into the T-case though.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Last weekend, I tried to change the fluid on my T-Case (NV-241). I started by trying the fill plug and proceeded to strip the stupid soft metal they used on those bolts. As is often the case, the steel and aluminum have gone through galvanic corrosion. I assume they are locked right together. Thought about grabbing a 10mm hex wrench to weld into the socket on the drain plug. Nervous about putting that much heat into the T-case though.

Any ideas?
Have you tried any type of penetrant? I would hit it with some pb or wd 40 penetrant, let it sit for a while and give it a go. After that maybe use a torch to slightly heat up the area around the bolt. And if all else fails there's always the Atlas 4... lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Have you tried any type of penetrant? I would hit it with some pb or wd 40 penetrant, let it sit for a while and give it a go. After that maybe use a torch to slightly heat up the area around the bolt. And if all else fails there's always the Atlas 4... lol

wd-40 is not a penetration oil. PB blaster and liquid wrench however, are great penetrants.

wd-40 is not a penetration oil. PB blaster and liquid wrench however, are great penetrants.
I was thinking of this kind of wd40. And since penetrant isn't effective with disimilar metals using a torch with low heat (as to not melt the aluminum) is the best option.
3e53179fc43a83187be099d89dc32268.jpg

Reactions: PStov98TJ
I was thinking of this kind of wd40. And since penetrant isn't effective with disimilar metals using a torch with low heat (as to not melt the aluminum) is the best option. View attachment 13923

Fair enough. Just wanted to clear it up. I've seen too many people wonder why regular wd-40 isn't helping them get their stuck bolts out. But I digress, back to the thread:D

Reactions: StG58