Stuck in Colorado - will this Jeep help?

Paintbiscuit

Hello!

I got stuck in the snow after ice fishing last Saturday.

The transfer case on my old blazer decided to stop working on the way home. I was only spinning the rear wheels, and didn't have the traction to make it up a steep incline. I slid onto the shoulder into deeper snow and had to wait ~2 hours for a passerby to pull me out. (The "Service AWD" light very helpfully came on later that night)

Two days later I went car shopping and came home with my first Jeep! I don't currently plan to do heavy off-roading, but I just wanted to feel more confident in my vehicle when I head out into the woods on my own.

Found this 2006 4.0L 6 speed standard with only 55k miles.

I've been reading a lot on this forum the last couple of days, I just wanted to say hi to everyone!

Here is the cleanest it may ever look after coming home from the dealer.

IMG_20181211_082237705.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

That winch is the absolute best tool you can have for getting "unstuck".

However, if you want to take it a step further, get a front and rear locker. With the winch and the locker combined, you should be able to get out of just about anything.

Welcome to the forum!

That winch is the absolute best tool you can have for getting "unstuck".

However, if you want to take it a step further, get a front and rear locker. With the winch and the locker combined, you should be able to get out of just about anything.

I definitely want lockers, but some people I was talking to mentioned that they didn't think it was worth putting lockers on my front 30 and rear 35. They were saying upgrade to the 44s first. What do you think?

I definitely don't foresee myself putting in a lift or bigger tires anytime soon.

I definitely want lockers, but some people I was talking to mentioned that they didn't think it was worth putting lockers on my front 30 and rear 35. They were saying upgrade to the 44s first. What do you think?

I definitely don't foresee myself putting in a lift or bigger tires anytime soon.

The front Dana 30 is fine with a locker, but the rear Dana 35 will need to be upgraded to a Super 35 before adding a locker to it (otherwise you could easily break it).

No need to upgrade to a Dana 44 though, check this thread out:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/should-i-upgrade-my-dana-35-axle.2925/

With my lowly SE I can easily plow 8 inches of wet snow with street tires. The only problem I had last winter on seasonal access only roads was when I lost tractions on a huge ice patch when most the way up a fairly steep hill. The jeep slid sideways into the ditch. I knew that road was deep mud when wet and a sheet of ice when cold, but I just had to try it.

I like to learn a vehicle before changing anything. I think a factory spec jeep will handle anything if you don't go looking for trouble. With that winch, you will be able to get out of that trouble.