Studded snow tires

anyone use them.im in massachusetts and wondering if I need them and if so back only?

To be honest with you a good snow tire can out perform a studded snow tire in nearly any circumstance. The modern technology of a good snow tire has virtually eliminated the need for studs altogether. In addition to that, a snow tire won't be bad for the pavement like a studded tire is.

Same tires all round is best. But you stop and steer with the fronts. If you are just doing 2, I'd do the fronts. Good snow tires blow the doors off All Seasons

what about an all season like the wrangler SR-A

If you want my honest opinion, I have used my Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac All Terrain tires in some very intense snow (both packed and un-packed) and they perform awesome. There's absolutely no reason I would ever need a snow tire with these Duratracs and the type of driving I do.

You'd be fine with a good All Terrain tire like the Duratrac.

No doubt, DTs, KOs, even MTs with sipes are good.
Reminds me of guys who said.

4WD? why FWD traction control is incredible.
Lockers, 4WD works great.
A winch, why?

Same difference. Buy those winter tires mid snowstorm... the difference is night and day.
Ever see FWD cars with winter tires driving by SUVs in the ditch?

Reactions: Lucas Campbell
@john arata I wouldn't mix tires as you suggested. If one set is off (bigger/smaller) , could jam things up in 4wd. In mass is expect you see alota lot of snow, you might ask a car Club or similar. I would think all terrain would be fine for you. I have used AT tires religiously, until recently when I got mud tires, I'll let you know in spring how well they do in snow.

You should be just fine with an All Terrain. Like many, I run Duratrac All Terrain tires and they perform excellent in the snow.

I can't see needing a dedicated snow tire unless you live in some place where the snow never ever lets up.

I can't see needing a dedicated snow tire unless you live in some place where the snow never ever lets up.

Not sure how the rest of Canada is, but we were told in Montreal that come a certain date (slips my mind the actual date) if you're not rolling with dedicated snow tires, you can get a ticket. Seems MOST folks up there have 2 sets of wheels for their cars, and just do a pit stop on or before that date and swap. It was odd seeing all the cars rockin dedicated snow tires. But no one had studs, JUST snow tires.
We drove a couple of hours north to Sainte-Agathe des Monts to do some snowmobiling and the secondary roads were nothing but packed snow. No one had any trouble getting around though.

We get flurries here in the south and TSHTF

milkbread1.jpg
milkgone.jpg

Reactions: _swede
Not sure how the rest of Canada is, but we were told in Montreal that come a certain date (slips my mind the actual date) if you're not rolling with dedicated snow tires, you can get a ticket. Seems MOST folks up there have 2 sets of wheels for their cars, and just do a pit stop on or before that date and swap. It was odd seeing all the cars rockin dedicated snow tires. But no one had studs, JUST snow tires.
We drove a couple of hours north to Sainte-Agathe des Monts to do some snowmobiling and the secondary roads were nothing but packed snow. No one had any trouble getting around though.

We get flurries here in the south and TSHTF

View attachment 1297 View attachment 1296
+1 for two dedicated sets. You cannot possibly expect one tire to perform well at everything.

If you're just playing around and wheeling in the snow, ATs may be fine. If you want safety and maximum traction for highway /road driving you should get a second set of wheels and tires. I have two sets for all of my daily drivers. I live in NH so we got hit with the same 10+ feet cumulative snowfall last winter as they did in MA. I have studded Nokians for my Tacoma, had studded Goodyears on my wife's Rav4, had studded Nokians on two other previous cars and currently Bridgestone studdless on the LR4.

I used KM2s all year until I rolled my truck on its side on 93 South during the "driving ban" of a snowstorm up here. Those tires are like skis on icy/wet/packed snow. It was not a fluke because I'm on my fourth set of KM2s and I know their strengths and weaknesses.

If it is my family behind the wheel, I take no chances. You can find a cheap set of OEM take-off wheels and get great prices on tire rack. There's really no excuse in New England... (or Canada haha)

Bottom line is the technology for studded tires has also drastically improved to reduce road noise and road damage over the years. Regular snows are fine for most. Some of us like the extra safety measure on black ice. I've had them for years now so I don't think they're unusual or overkill.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris