Stupid Question

F Troop

TJ Enthusiast
Long story short. My steering stabilizer was shipped W/O the hardware. Would you drive your Jeep about a 1.5 miles to work without it?

Depends on what kind of condition the rest of my front end components were in, and how fast a ride to work? But if you have alternate transportation, maybe don't risk it?

Yes, you shouldn’t need a steering stabilizer. When I installed my lift I drove for a while without one to make sure everything was right before installing mine.

Reactions: qslim
It's fine to drive without one, especially if your steering is in good condition. The steering damper is there to improve the road-feel and provide a better sense of control. It also helps mask other issues that could lead to death wobble; though in those cases, the base issue needs to be solved.

Essentially, drive without it as long as you want. Use it as an opportunity to see if anything in the steering needs replacing.

Yes, it doesn’t do a whole lot. If your front end has play or death wobble, a stabilizer isn’t going to do anything to mask it.

My stabilizer currently has a big hole torn in it and doesn't do anything. I'm driving around without giving it a second thought.

Steering stabilizers didn't exist for decades.

As far as driving it to work....I wouldn't quit my job if I didn't have one, but maybe take some vacation....😃

• Love
Reactions: CodaMan and Zorba
It's not an essential part. You'll feel more connected to the road without it, which can be good and bad.

I drove about a month without it after my currielink was installed. No problem.