Stuttering / Stalling Problem

Kris11

TJ Enthusiast
Hey Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone had the same problem as me. For about a month now my jeep has been stuttering and stalling at random times while I drive it. I brought it in to the stealership 3 times and they charged me 130$ in total for getting their techs to look at it for an hour or so and in the end didn't find anything. So i'm not going back their. I brought it in to a friends mechanic and he thinks it may be the ECU so he sent it out for testing but it never stalled once for them. I was also reading online it could be a Crankshaft Position Sensor so I told him to F it and just replace it anyway (im at a point now im grasping at straws). Has anyone experience this problem before? I attached 2 videos of what it does. I hope I can get her all patched up and ready for winter!

Any help would be appreciated!

Any Diagnostic Trouble Codes? Turn your ignition switch on-off-on three times in quick succession and then leave it in the on position. Give it some time, it will eventually (wait, they don't show up immediately) start showing any stored DTCs in the odometer. If there aren't any DTCs, it will still always at least say 'Done'' in the odometer display if you did it correctly.

My guess is either a bad crankshaft position sensor or a bad upstream 02 sensor.

Reactions: Kris11
Thanks! ill take a look at the code thing when I get it back tomorrow. But I had it scanned and apparently it wasn't throwing any codes out. I just recently had a tune up done and he put 2 new O2 sensors in so I don't think its that unless the mechanic didn't install them correctly?

Running like that I would say that if it isn't throwing any codes currently, it's going to any day now (so keep driving it until it does).

Codes always make things easier to diagnose. I'm with Jerry on this one, but before throwing any money on it I would keep driving it until it throws a code.

Reactions: Kris11
Did the problem show up before or after your O2 sensor replacements?

--okay, I watched your videos and saw that your CEL flashes when it starts to sputter. You need to hook up an OBD2 reader and use a program that reads the engine codes and diagnostics in real time. You can get a cheap OBD2 device and then download an app on your iPhone or android that will probably do it.

We will help however we can. A few things that come to mind would be a clogged catalytic converter, bad O2 sensors (depending on what year your TJ is or which market it was sold to, you might have two or four O2 sensors). Let me know if the two O2 sensors were before or after the problem and what brand they were. Have you checked for any obstruction in the air intake?

I will elaborate - if he installed anything other than a NTK or OEM Jeep (which is NTK) I would be very suspicious. The Bosch sensors in particular are notorious for causing issues.

FYI if your TJ is like mine, you'll need NTK 23018, 23158, 23159, 23160 for your O2 sensors. You can get them for like $30 each online.

Does it only do it when it's warm or cold or both?

Thanks for the input! I will look for a scanner on ebay and hopefully be able to fix my jeep on my own from now on. I have no idea what type of O2 sensors he put in but I will ask. It only happened once and then after it happened I brought it in to get a tune up and the 02 sensors changed because I thought that was the problem and it was fine but recently it started acting up again but this time more frequently. It happens both when its warmed up and even sometimes when I cold start it. Thanks for the help once I give him a call today Ill let you know what he says!

So after replacing the crankshaft position sensor and the 2 O2 sensors it seemed to fix it until a couple days ago. It started happening again. My dad didn't believe me so he took it to work and it got worse and stalled out on the highway and wouldn't crank for a solid 5 min. He ended up getting it running and dropped it off at our mechanic. He put in a new Distributor, Idle control valve, and the throttle position sensor but to no avail. It seems like its getting worse and it no longer wants to stay running (when it starts and idles it dies within 5 min). The thing that bothers me is that no codes are being thrown. The check engine light did flash a couple times but doesn't stay on. Here is a video of me driving it last night.

Grrrrrrrr its starting to bother me why cant she just work :(
Any suggestions would be appreciated…

What we replaced:
- Crankshaft Position Sensor
- 02 Sensors
- Distributor
- Idle Control Valve
- Throttle position sensor

Everything was replaced with mopar parts. This is starting to get expensive. It almost reached the $1000 point. I have college to pay for and cant keep throwing money at the thing...

I'm confused by the "distributor" you installed. A 2006 doesn't have a distributor, do you mean you replaced the camshaft position sensor that sits on top of the shaft where the distributor used to be mounted on earlier models?

He said the part that controls the fire to the spark plugs… That's the distributor no?
No, there is no distributor on your '06, 4.0 distributors went away around 2000. It sounds like he may have replaced the coil rail which is what provides the spark to each of the spark plugs, it the long black rail that sits over the top of the plugs.

That gray round thing below is the camshaft position sensor and your problem may be caused by that. That is where the distributor used to be mounted This camshaft position sensor works like the crankshaft position sensor in that it sends timing signals to the computer. If the computer doesn't get timing signals from both the camshaft and the crankshaft, the engine won't run.

camshaft position sensor.jpg

Last edited:
No, there is no distributor on your '06, 4.0 distributors went away around 2000. It sounds like he may have replaced the coil rail which is what provides the spark to each of the spark plugs, it the long black rail that sits over the top of the plugs.

That gray round thing below is the camshaft position sensor and your problem may be caused by that. That is where the distributor used to be mounted This camshaft position sensor works like the crankshaft position sensor in that it sends timing signals to the computer. If the computer doesn't get timing signals from both the camshaft and the crankshaft, the engine won't run.

View attachment 3454
I have a 4.0 2001 Cherokee that has had all of that replaced still does it on and off. The only thing left is PCM. Good luck

ITS FIXED!

So after ordering a new ECU she lives! The ECU ran me $1400 installed and comes with a lifetime warranty. I've had it back for almost a week now and shes running strong. Never happened again. I didn't want to spend $1400 so I tried doing the other things to it but nothing helped it. So if you guys have the same Stuttering/Stalling problem this is the last thing you can change and for me it ended up being the problem.

Reactions: olysan
Hey Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone had the same problem as me. For about a month now my jeep has been stuttering and stalling at random times while I drive it. I brought it in to the stealership 3 times and they charged me 130$ in total for getting their techs to look at it for an hour or so and in the end didn't find anything. So i'm not going back their. I brought it in to a friends mechanic and he thinks it may be the ECU so he sent it out for testing but it never stalled once for them. I was also reading online it could be a Crankshaft Position Sensor so I told him to F it and just replace it anyway (im at a point now im grasping at straws). Has anyone experience this problem before? I attached 2 videos of what it does. I hope I can get her all patched up and ready for winter!

Any help would be appreciated!
I had the exact same problem with my 03 Rubicon. I jiggled the 3 large connectors to the ECU with the engine running, and sure enough the engine cut off at idle. I then removed the ECU, cleaned the grounding points to the firewall and case, sprayed the 3 connectors with contact spray, and reinstalled the ECU. Have not had the problem since.

Guys I need help i have changed everything on the this Jeep it’s practically new there’s a new pcm new IAC TPS all O2 sensors the crankshaft position sensor all new like everything that everyone said on here to change had been changed and I have the same issue of stalling it’s been months and I’m only a teen with a minimum wage job I can’t keep throwing money at it I need help so bad

Guys I need help i have changed everything on the this Jeep it’s practically new there’s a new pcm new IAC TPS all O2 sensors the crankshaft position sensor all new like everything that everyone said on here to change had been changed and I have the same issue of stalling it’s been months and I’m only a teen with a minimum wage job I can’t keep throwing money at it I need help so bad
Is the CEL turning on? If so what is the code that goes along with it. I have code P0743 and for me I get a some bad shaking and sometimes stalling when coming to a stop. Getting a code is a great start to fixing the problem.