• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

IMPORTANT Sub-forum refresher course

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
Okay guys and gals, it's time for your sub-forum refresher course. I'm posting this because I would say I spend a good amount of time moving posts to the correct sub-forums. Most people are really good at knowing where they go, but the newbies (and some of the long time members who shall remain unnamed ;) ) are guilty of habitually posting things in the wrong sub-forum, ever after I move their post and tell them where it was supposed to go.

So, let's get down to business:

TJ General Discussion
If it's TJ or LJ related at all, it goes in this sub-forum, period. If it has nothing to do with TJs or LJs, it doesn't belong here.

TJ Build Threads & Member's Rides
This is a sub-forum for build threads and threads to show off your ride. If you have questions, they don't belong in this forum, they belong in the TJ General Discussion.

TJ How-to Guides
This isn't a sub-forum for you to ask how-to do something. This is a sub-forum for how-to guides and DIY articles that members have written. In other words, it's a resource for TJ / LJ owners to reference when doing things to their vehicle.

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
This is a sub-forum I've made for answers to FAQs. If you have a TJ related question, it doesn't belong here, it belongs in the TJ General Discussion.

General Jeep Discussion
This sub-forum is for anything Jeep related, but not related to the TJ / LJ. This is the number one offender for people. They post in this sub-forum all the time when they should be posting in the TJ General Discussion sub-forum. Got a question about a Cherokee, or maybe a link to a new Jeep vehicle? It belongs in this sub-forum!

Gear
Winches, recovery gear, camping gear, CB radios, etc. That sort of stuff is considered "gear" and belongs in this sub-forum.

That's about it! All the other sub-forums are self explanatory.

Now you guys know why I refuse to have any more sub-forums. It ends up being a nightmare for me, because people never know where to post their topics.

Powdermonkey

SAPPER
Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2018
Western Co
Why isn’t there tabs within a thread? Some of these build threads have a ton of good info but it’s nearly impossible to find or reference back.

OP
Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
Why isn’t there tabs within a thread? Some of these build threads have a ton of good info but it’s nearly impossible to find or reference back.
You mean like this?

Not hard to do, most people just either don’t know how, or don’t think they need to.

Powdermonkey

SAPPER
Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2018
Western Co
I was thinking more along the lines of having your build thread with sub threads within. So you could have your general discussion on one and tabs that would allow you to discuss specific topics.

Reactions: StG58

skrelnik

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2018
CT, United States
Thanks Chris - I have the same OCD when I try to get work employees to save files in the proper network drives. Constantly moving files around so I feel your pain.

Reactions: Chris
OP
Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
Thanks Chris - I have the same OCD when I try to get work employees to save files in the proper network drives. Constantly moving files around so I feel your pain.
Yep, every morning I wake up and move at least 10 threads to their proper location :LOL:

Reactions: skrelnik

dudehitt

TJ Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2019
Phoenix
I think the simplicity of the subforums and the navigatibility(?) of the site play a huge role in how much we all love it. Of course the biggest part is the members and how even crazy ideas are only mildly criticized. Rubber band tires and angry bird grills are criticized, but it usually comes across as more of a big brotherly type criticism than outright mocking.

Thank you for making this a friendly place.

MaloStapalo

But why is the rum gone?
Supporting Member
Mar 26, 2018
Веил, колорадо
Have you thought about getting help around here? I'm sure you're protective over your work, but giving a trusted member minor mod permissions could ease your work load.

OP
Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
Have you thought about getting help around here? I'm sure you're protective over your work, but giving a trusted member minor mod permissions could ease your work load.
Of course. I’d just have to make sure it was someone who had the same level of OCD I have with making sure things are in the right forums and correcting as much spelling as possible.

Also the thread titles. I’m changing them all the time because people will title their thread something like “HELP”, which is a horrible, non-descriptive thread title.

So the majority of the job for said person would be correcting spelling / grammar, editing thread titles to be more descriptive, and moving threads to the correct sub-forums :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Jake Cutter