Subaru kicks Wrangler's ass

I have 2 older freightliner dump trucks; one with 180k miles, one with 989k miles. Both are well used, but burn minimal oil, and have had no issues.

I have multiple older used heavy machines that all start, run and works very well, they make me a living. All have their quirks, but nothing like the head gasket and timing belt issues stated in this thread. I find the valve issues and the belts failing in Squatch's case highly unacceptable. That is an engineering failure, not a wear issue.

I swear to the good lord above if I had to deal with what Squatch did trying to make a living, that machine would be scrapped, not repaired, and sent to the crusher to beer can heaven. Things used to be designed not to fail, and to serve the owner well. I know in today's world this is still possible, with CNC machines, computers, and many generation of vehicle built and lessons learned while doing so.

Based on the above statements in this thread, you couldn't give me a brand new Subaru, I would rather walk.

Hell, I have bid on AM General 5 ton army truck at Ft. Riley Kansas sight unseen, drove them home with ether, batteries, and aired up the tires. I bet one of them would outlast a Subaru with no maintenance performed.

I have 2 older freightliner dump trucks; one with 180k miles, one with 989k miles. Both are well used, but burn minimal oil, and have had no issues.

I have multiple older used heavy machines that all start, run and works very well, they make me a living. All have their quirks, but nothing like the head gasket and timing belt issues stated in this thread. I find the valve issues and the belts failing in Squatch's case highly unacceptable. That is an engineering failure, not a wear issue.

I swear to the good lord above if I had to deal with what Squatch did trying to make a living, that machine would be scrapped, not repaired, and sent to the crusher to beer can heaven. Things used to be designed not to fail, and to serve the owner well. I know in today's world this is still possible, with CNC machines, computers, and many generation of vehicle built and lessons learned while doing so.

Based on the above statements in this thread, you couldn't give me a brand new Subaru, I would rather walk.

Hell, I have bid on AM General 5 ton army truck at Ft. Riley Kansas sight unseen, drove them home with ether, batteries, and aired up the tires. I bet one of them would outlast a Subaru with no maintenance performed.
I don't know how well the new Subarus will hold up now that they're running timing chains, but for me, the damage has already been done. If my life depended on a vehicle's longevity, it would have to be an early Cummins-equipped Dodge. But as we all know, Subaru definitely has its followers, and as long as Subaru can continue to sell their product, they'll be around for a while.

My one and only dealing with a Subaru was a '77 DL Coupe, a tin can on tires. After I wrecked my Moms '76 Toyota Corolla in a no-fault, got rear ended freeway accident. That DL did do pretty good in the snow, probably because of the front engine/front drive and skinny tires but the drive train developed leaks & issues as described above. My Dad traded it for a tried & true Toyota. In recent months, my wife & I have been talking about getting a Subie or Honda (in AWD platforms) to use as a toad behind our Moho. In the 2 or 3 active RV forums, more people tend to favor the Hondas.

Reactions: Squatch
My one and only dealing with a Subaru was a '77 DL Coupe, a tin can on tires. After I wrecked my Moms '76 Toyota Corolla in a no-fault, got rear ended freeway accident. That DL did do pretty good in the snow, probably because of the front engine/front drive and skinny tires but the drive train developed leaks & issues as described above. My Dad traded it for a tried & true Toyota. In recent months, my wife & I have been talking about getting a Subie or Honda (in AWD platforms) to use as a toad behind our Moho. In the 2 or 3 active RV forums, more people tend to favor the Hondas.
Honda or Toyota for the quality, Mazda for a compromise on the price and quality. Beyond that, I wouldn't know what to do...

Reactions: alittleoff
Yeah and the only reason for a toad is that the Jeep is far from stock and our 4-runner can't be flat towed. So they get dragged around on the trailer.
Pros & cons to both though.

Reactions: Squatch
Ha Ha !!

Wrangler, Cross Trek. Those are our 2 vehicles !! But I'm more comfortable in my Wrangler than my wifes Cross Trek.

IMG_1777.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: zebra12
You can’t throw a rock in Asheville N.C. without hitting an Outback.

Still, I’m not watching a comparison of a car I don’t know anything about versus a Jeep I don’t want.

This is obviously a Jeep forum and we all love Jeeps, but do Subaru's really a have problem? With the power of the internet, a small problem is magnified. Is the issue a design flaw or poor maintenance?

In my family, there have been at least 6 Subaru's and none have had an engine problem. All were run to 100,000+ miles and didn't use oil. Two are still in use today ( my son and my sister). The other 4 died due to rust from all the salt we use here in the Northeast. In my mind, comparing a Subaru to a Jeep is like apple and oranges. They're both good fruit.

My family typically runs cars until the wheel fall off, but we're good with routine maintenance.

I have 420,000 miles on a Cummins diesel. I've run 255,000 on my Dodge slant six. In fact, I've owned easily a dozen vehicles that I kept running beyond the 250,000 mile mark before selling them to someone else as still-running transportation vehicles. For me, I feel the boxer motor that Subaru has is an inferior product. That's based on my own personal experiences with them.

Reactions: rasband
Japanese engines are more reliable than American made engines. If we are not talking about low end torque but just engine performance. However, I saw few "Fuso diesel" in Asia / Australia that can out perform our Cummins here in terms of reliability. But for low end torque, the Cummins are more powerful.

Just because I am a certified TJ Addict, I still like my TJ's 4.0L simplicity more than the Subarus.

Last edited:
You'll never here me criticize a Subaru.

Bought a new Outback in 98, put 288K on that car and never had a single mechanical issue.
The AWD system can't be beat.

BUT it is not an offroad vehicle like a Wrangler.....more specifically a TJ. Lol

I took ours offroad once and it fell short in every category that the TJ excels in.....no comparison.

I really like the Cross Trek.

You can’t throw a rock in Asheville N.C. without hitting an Outback.

Still, I’m not watching a comparison of a car I don’t know anything about versus a Jeep I don’t want.
That is because they think they have big mountains and bad weather in N.C. I will still take a jeep over a Subaru...but I still remember those light blue and shit brown subaru's in Alaska putting around town, rust half way up the doors, slipping and sliding on the icy roads. I just used to lock the hubs of my old CJ and just put put put through the snow banks the plows used to pile up.

Reactions: AndyG