Subwoofer in tailgate anyone?

raycer12

Supporting Member
Had my spare tire off my lj today to figure out what I have to do to mount a 33 inch tire back there. I've been planning on putting a subwoofer behind the rear wheel well on the driver's side. I was looking at the spare tire mount and I was wondering if anybody's ever put a sub in the tailgate and closed up the spare tire mount as a box for the back of the sub. Just thinking outside the box as usual. The only real issue I see might be wiring it. And what's that vent under there for anyways?
IMG_20180526_165846.jpg

The vent is so you can close the door with the hard top. Wireing isn't so bad, put it in loom and leave enough slack to let it open. The JK has wires in a cloth loom like that factory.

Your biggest issue will be all the bracing inside the tailgate. You can cut it all out but I wouldn't count on it to hold a tire after.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

That does look good but my seat usually isn't in the Jeep. I'm probably going to stick with my original plan to put it behind the rear wheel well. It looks like there's plenty of room back there in an LJ