Subwoofer install ideas?

Any pics of the sub box you used on the 8?

My jeep didn't come with a factory sub, so I did some fab work to the storage enclosure and basically made it a sealed sub enclosure for a slime line 8.
20151122_123055.jpg
20151122_130722.jpg
20151122_130918.jpg
20151122_132726.jpg

Reactions: Mrgreg66 and JMT
I capped off the top of the enclosure by epoxying some mdf and carpeted it. Still have some storage for small stuff.
20151122_141504.jpg

Reactions: Airjunky
My jeep didn't come with a factory sub, so I did some fab work to the storage enclosure and basically made it a sealed sub enclosure for a slime line 8.
Nice! So this is a sub box you built?

The 8 that I ended up with is not a slim 8. It's Kicker's CompR 2 ohm sub, which is 7" deep. While it "fits" in the console, I obviously need the box to fit in there too. Min sealed box size is .4 cu ft. I'm plenty capable of building the box but have no clue how to calculate the dimensions. Assuming I could use it, I could run the amp in 2 ohms & get 200 watts out of it. Maybe overkill.... and maybe I'm just antsy to get this going.

I ordered another sub the other day when I figured out I had the wrong one. It "arrived" today. Or actually what arrived was another Kicker sub amp. Geez, I can't win here. Got the return processed & will need to order another 6.75" sub again..... unless I can figure out how to use this 8" sub. Lol.

I just modified the existing storage pocket that was in there and made it a sealed enclosure. I added Boom mat to the outside of the enclosure to minimize rattling. Worked out pretty well.

Reactions: Airjunky
Here is mine. It's a Tang Band 6.5" in a PVC pipe enclosure. It's in the passenger side foot well, and although it may look like it, it didn't take up any usable passenger foot space. I used a heat gun before I carpeted it, to mold around the stuff under the dash so it would fit further back.

Although this is somewhat ghetto, I used a footman loop behind it, and an old belt to keep it in place, but it also allows me to undo it.

0404191836.jpg

0404191837.jpg

How's that PVC enclosure? IIRC tang band is really good stuff for little $. Better SQ than a lot of the expensive stuff.

This setup is kind of impressive in the driveway. It has solid bass. Now I drive mine with the top down 90% of the time, and at normal in city driving it's pretty good too. 70mph on the highway with the the top down makes it a lot less effective because the wind noise is so loud, but still better than no sub.

I've been using this sub setup for a number of years, maybe 8 or more, still rocks.

Reactions: JMT and dudehitt
I’ve been brainstorming and searching, and I found this picture below on another forum. It gave me some ideas.

Option 1. Cut a new length of plywood that would fit in the full front to back width of the seat, this would basically lodge it between the forward and aft large metal supports and should keep it from moving front to back. You would still need to cut the grooves to keep it from moving left to right (or see option 2 below).

Option 2. Some type of metal strap screwed tightly into the existing plywood on each side of and over the metal straps. The picture shows something like this, although I’m sure he used that to hold left to right position instead of cutting grooves like you did. However using grooves and metal straps like this could hold it in one spot if you could get them tight enough. I’m assuming that cutting 1/4” deep grooves also helps the set up sit a little lower and not press up into the cushion as much.

Option 3. Put hose clamps on all 4 corners where the metal straps meet the plywood grooves. Maybe that would hold it in place.

I’m thinking about doing the longer length section of plywood. Cutting 1/4” grooves. Then using metal strips as well, like in option 2. I bet doing that would keep that sucker in one spot. I’ll have to wait a month or so before my play money builds back up to order the sub. I just bought a new head unit and 4 new speakers.

What are your thoughts about that?

View attachment 86308
I think I’ll start by adding another strip of wood at the bottom and seeing how that works. I’d like to do some straps like Rob did, if I can find some laying around. Looks nice! Good ideas! Thanks...another project

I think I’ll start by adding another strip of wood at the bottom and seeing how that works. I’d like to do some straps like Rob did, if I can find some laying around. Looks nice! Good ideas! Thanks...another project

Please let me know how that works out for you when you get it done. Hopefully it works out great! Dang Jeeps are never freakin ending projects.

Please let me know how that works out for you when you get it done. Hopefully it works out great! Dang Jeeps are never freakin ending projects.
I just slipped a piece of wood in there this evening. It had been staying put for awhile, so it may not be much of an issue.

I just slipped a piece of wood in there this evening. It had been staying put for awhile, so it may not be much of an issue.
That sounds like an easy fix then. Glad to hear it. I’ll cut my plywood to be the full length and that should take care of it. I’ll still do the grooves like you did and may try to do the strap thing. Thanks for the help!!

Reactions: JMT
Check out the Sound Ordinance P-8PTD. I will fit basically under your rear seat as-is, with only an 1" sticking out due to the downward taper of the rear seat. If you put 1" spacers under the rear seat, the sub is totally hidden and thumps like no tomorrow. Also, IT'S CHEAP.

Crimp on an eye connector and run a ground wire to one of rear seat mount bracket bolts. Get a 3 prong connector and wire it in so you can easily disconnect the harness if you need to take the seat out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0160G7IHA/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Good idea, but the PS-8 Amp makes it easy with a plug for the ground, accessory and power that just unplugs from the amp when you need to pull the seat.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Will do! I ordered my Rockford Fosgate PS-8 from Crutchfield today. Hopefully I’ll get to install the full new system over the weekend.
You’re going to love it. And the bass control knob, you’ll be tempted not to install it, but I love mine, much easier than entering your head unit settings and making a bass adjustment. I literally use it everyday.