Suggestions for new tires / wheels?

Camhabib

TJ Enthusiast
I don't know who or when they were put on, but I have a 98 Sahara, OEM height, with 31" BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain tires mounted to Grizzly rims. I spend at the very least 75% of my time on paved roads, making the tread on these a bit overkill, and one of the rims has a serious crack in it (running it as a spare), so replacements are in order all around. I'd like to keep things as cheap as possible (without sacrificing safety) and add an extra inch of width to the track (or at least push the tires out from the spring housings which they're dangerously close to at the moment).

Wondering if someone could throw out a few recommendations of wheels and tires they've used with good results? I'm thinking something like the Tactik or Pro Comp steel wheels (~$50 on Quadratec), but don't know what size to go with, and what tire to pair them with.

The steel wheels in a 15" rim are probably the cheapest way to go. The width depends on what tire you are looking to run, but an 8" width should be a safe bet for any tire up to a 12 1/2" wide.
Pretty much any A/T tire should do what you want. I really like the Cooper AT3 4S light truck tire. Many here like the Goodyear Duratrack. Try to get a load range C tire and look to around 25-28 psi for the best on-road handling.
I have 265/75R16 (roughly a 32"tire) on 8" wide rims with a 4 1/2" backspacing and have no interference problems and they keep the tread just inside the fender flares. Full lock to lock turning with no washers or adjustments needed. Hope this helps.