Suggestions on good air wrench

Kathy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
my tire rotation today was a pain due to Dave’s air wrench being on its last leg. Was thinking I could get him one more x mas present(even though he doesn’t deserve it). Plus I’ll benifit from it as well and will be nice for when the new workshop is built.

He currently has two sizes a big one and small one from harbor freight. Without breaking the bank, any suggestions on brand, kind I could get him? It’s the big one that is a piece of shit .

After losing all my pneumatic tools in Hurricane Sandy I purchased all Ingersoll Rand tools and they have performed well without breaking the bank.

Reactions: StG58
After losing all my pneumatic tools in Hurricane Sandy I purchased all Ingersoll Rand tools and they have performed well without breaking the bank.
I’ll have to see who sells that brand locally. Thanks!

I agree, never a complaint with any of they're tools and ODDLY enough, i lost 40yrs worth of tools in a fire.
Since the fire I've been really liking KOBALT.

Yup. Ingersoll Rand, if you can find them. Lasted about a year down in the shipyards. Chicago Pneumatic lasted about six weeks. Tough environment.

Reactions: Kathy
I agree, never a complaint with any of they're tools and ODDLY enough, i lost 40yrs worth of tools in a fire.
Well there is a kobalt locally I could get him. Do you have the kobalt air wrench and like it?

1A0C3789-41C9-414C-BD7E-5B2A8238AE0D.png

At the shop we used the Ingersoll Rand 244. Stout, never broke down, used constantly for crush sleeves as well as everything else. Plus they are rebuildable. I have a IR 231 currently which works well. The most important piece in the system is the compressor. A low cfm output/small tank won't do the trick regardless of the gun you use.

At the shop we used the Ingersoll Rand 244. Stout, never broke down, used constantly for crush sleeves as well as everything else. Plus they are rebuildable. I have a IR 231 currently which works well. The most important piece in the system is the compressor. A low cfm output/small tank won't do the trick regardless of the gun you use.
Good info! Dave’s compressor is huge! At least to me. It’s about 5ft. Tall. I’m sure it has good output because it worked great before his air wrench started to go. And his is a Sanborn which is not from harbor freight .I can’t get the ingersoll rand before we open gifts Sunday so I’ll see what he thinks of the kobalt and share the other options and we can always switch . Thanks!

Reactions: Rob5589
Good info! Dave’s compressor is huge! At least to me. It’s about 5ft. Tall. I’m sure it has good output because it worked great before his air wrench started to go. And his is a Sanborn which is not from harbor freight .I can’t get the ingersoll rand before we open gifts Sunday so I’ll see what he thinks of the kobalt and share the other options and we can always switch . Thanks!

There is a dirty joke in there some where :D Sounds like he has a big one so should be good :D

I've had the same Kobalt model for a few years. It's worked well but I've gotta admit that I don't use it as much some people would.
I think it’s gonna work great for our needs for now. I can’t wait until he try’s it out. I know it’s gonna be a lot nicer then the half ass one he was using. He’s now been looking at the kobalt tool boxes. He missed the good sale they just had at Lowe’s

He’s now been looking at the kobalt tool boxes. He missed the good sale they just had at Lowe’s
That's too bad. I just bought mine in early December, and I absolutely love it. I have an IR 5 horse, 60 gallon compressor, and have been eyeballing the Kobalt air tools, as of late. Be sure and post what Dave's impression is of his new air gun!

Last edited:
That's too bad. I just bought mine in early December, and I absolutely love it. I have an IR 5 horse, 60 gallon compressor, and have been eyeballing the Kobalt air tools, as of late. Be sure and post what Dave's impression is of his new air gun!
You just bought a tool box or an air wrench? If tool box, what model,and how do you like it? Dave said I can be the first to use his air wrench to switch around my tires that I rotated incorrectly last week. Isn’t that nice of him :/ Here’s the compressor he has.
2AD848FA-4AFE-4E06-8BB6-957C47986197.jpeg

So I used the wrench and then had @Dave K. tighten the lug nuts back on to get his opinion. He thinks the kobalt seems a bit less powerful, but when I look up his old Sanborn and the new kobalt , it seems the kobalt should be better. He thinks his Sanborn is more than 600 torque, but I can’t find anywhere on his wrench that it shows and when I look online this is the only match. Thoughts? Either way, he likes it and for what we will be using it for it will work fine Dave says.
1AE59BFD-3088-4334-BD0C-FC4F1E85BE74.png
40FDC27D-68B7-4D8A-9803-516D9AFD76F1.png

Reactions: Squatch
I bought the Kobalt 3000 series (41" wide) top and bottom (rollaway). Double wall construction, welded seams in areas where other boxes are not, massive casters, etc. I looked at a number of different units, and felt the Kobalt was hands-down the best unit for my needs. No regrets!

Reactions: Kathy